FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513314 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #465 on: Aug 20, 2016, 08:10 PM »

Thanks RG, really makes finding and monitoring the progress of the vines easier, also I believe the flowers get pollinated better with the increased visibility.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #466 on: Aug 21, 2016, 04:22 AM »
I believe you're right on both counts. I had a couple cukes and pickles go wild on me for not seeing them in the tangle of vines. They produced alright as I have a great solitary bee population around my gardens. But I did do some pollinating with a small artist brush to help things along. This was my first planting in the square foot gardens so there's plenty for me to learn.

Right now I'm on a quest for a wood chipper/shreader to mulch my garden and yard waste. I've been looking and studying. Any suggestions from our gardeners would be appreciated.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #467 on: Aug 21, 2016, 07:24 AM »
What about a cheap harbor freight model... I think costs 149.99 minus 20% might sweeten the deal on a wood chipper shredder... Here is a link to that very model..you get 20% off coupons all the time in the news paper and in magazines ..

http://m.harborfreight.com/14-amp-1-12-in-capacity-chipper-shredder-61714.html

boondox

« Reply #468 on: Aug 21, 2016, 07:32 AM »
Next cheapest shredder is at link below..as for quality of each is beyond me ...

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lawnmaster-1-5-in-15-Amp-Electric-Chipper-Shredder-FD1501/203457389

By the way each cost about the same when you include shipping from harbor freight..  versus free shipping at homedepot and taxes etc.. but for price I think the 15 amp motor would be better for garden composting .. just from  knowing motors.. you don't want under powered .. also bought a muti speed buffer at hf it worked fine only complain the motor was noisy as can be..  I am guessing the hf shredder would be worst..

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #469 on: Aug 21, 2016, 10:35 AM »

Welp, wont be watering today it seems  ;D ;D ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #470 on: Aug 21, 2016, 02:05 PM »
We got a good rain all morning long. Temps dropped into the 70's so I took advantage. Canned up the last of my pickles and a good batch of sauce.

Thanks for the links Boon. I'll get something more substantial than those electric units. I'm looking at a 5 hp MTD chipper /shreader tomorrow evening. Looks like a solid, all steel machine. Good reviews and parts are available. They're asking $150.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #471 on: Aug 21, 2016, 02:26 PM »
Looks awesome Bob.. I watered plants for 3 hours this morning.. At work...Started raining  here  around  2...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #472 on: Aug 21, 2016, 04:13 PM »
I was thinking of you Dom. My Bride and I were at the greenhouse looking for some mums today. Nothing too exciting around here yet. I'll get my Hardy's from my favorite farm stand. He grows some beauties and sells them very reasonably.

One bad part about this rain......gotta mow my d**n lawn again :-\

Rg

boondox

« Reply #473 on: Aug 21, 2016, 06:11 PM »

Thanks for the links Boon. I'll get something more substantial than those electric units. I'm looking at a 5 hp MTD chipper /shreader tomorrow evening. Looks like a solid, all steel machine. Good reviews and parts are available. They're asking $150.

Rg

Ya that a heck of a deal on a mtd chipper those sell new for 499.99 to 799.99 most places.. we got a mtd snow thrower all steel had it the last 20 some years.. original spark plugs in it electric start etc etc.. always change the oil and it will run forever... sooner or later I got to change the spark plugs but it not a problem why make it..lol's

Wnthunting

« Reply #474 on: Aug 21, 2016, 06:33 PM »

Hey Rg .. I've been looking for a good sauce recipe to use up all my brandy wine tomatoes .. Would you mind sharing your recipe ?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #475 on: Aug 21, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Recipe? What recipe ;D

There's no 2 batches the same, but, there are some basic ingredients. That said,we make our sauce to be a "cooking sauce". Meaning that it's a base to work with to create other dishes. We use many varieties of tomatoes in the sauce. Yellow heirloom, Mr. Stripy, giant plumb, Better Boy, Cherry Plumb etc. all are peeled and thoroughly drained, smashed and drained again. We do not remove seeds as neither of us has any dietary concerns related to seed consumption. We feel there's too much nutrition lost if the seeds are removed.

So....if you want to make pasta sauce, you'll want to use a food mill to separate the seeds and skins.

Anyway, the basics are:
Tomatoes
Garlic........garlic.......some more garlic and a bit more garlic.
Bell peppers. This year I grew purple and green bell peppers.
Hot peppers. We grow Hungarian , Yellow Cow horn and jalapeño.
Onion
And...the last of the zucchini, chopped.
Fresh basils....yes....basils....I use 3 kinds of fresh basil from the herb garden, Thai, cinnamon and spicy basil, along with fresh parsley and Greek oregano.
Kosher salt and coarse ground pepper
Sugar

Peel, smash and drain the tomatoes. Drain them....smash them.....drain them again then drain them again.

Start the onions, peppers, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper and sugar with olive oil in a big pot. Sweat till translucent.

Add the tomatoes and bring to a slow simmer. Cook it down at least 30% tasting and adjusting seasonings as you go. Mine cooks about 5 hours total.

I can my sauce so I bring it to a temp of 185 and add it to hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/2" head space. I process in a full roll hot water bath for 40- 45 minutes.

We add whatever other ingredients we like for the finished sauce. Cheeses, meats, seafoods etc. and sauté to the finish.

That's what we do anyway.

When I try to explain it, it sounds complicated, when I actually do it, it's a labor of love. It just seems natural. I love to cook......eat.......cook.....eat......cook......e at.....well, you get the idea ;D

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #476 on: Aug 22, 2016, 04:43 AM »
Since this is my first year with these raised beds, I'm looking for advice as to what I should be doing to prep them for winter. So far the only common online advice is to mulch with leaves. There's a slew of other suggestions which seem to be gardener's choices rather than bona fide information.

One said to lay down layers of newspaper and mulch over top. Another says to top plants, leaving the root structures in the soil rather than pull the plants out completely. Yet another says to add manure and organics and cover with black plastic. I'm not quite sure what I want to do.

You're advice is appreciated.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #477 on: Aug 22, 2016, 05:23 AM »
Pull all the dead stuff, add more compost wait till spring and plant...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #478 on: Aug 22, 2016, 07:59 AM »
That's simple enough ;D

K.I.S.S. Method eh!
Rg

Wnthunting

« Reply #479 on: Aug 22, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Thanks RG .. Think  I'll try and get some made this weekend.. I guess sauce is one of those things you just have to keep playing with it until you find what you like. The wife and I usually make a very saucy Ratatouille with all the garden veggies and freeze it .. But I've been on a canning kick this year .. It's nice not to have to thaw things out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.