FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512945 times)

tomturkey

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #570 on: Aug 31, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Get rid of the rake and use a blower. The only time I use a rake is to put the leaves on a tarp to haul them to the pile out back. I have probably an 8x10 cheap blue tarp that I put HD wire ties in all the grommets. I stake two corners by the leaf pile. Then rake the pile on the tarp, pull the stakes and gather up the tarp by the ties. I some times put the tarp in a wheel barrow to transport the leaves, some times just throw the tarp over my shoulder to carry it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #571 on: Aug 31, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Stupid iPad.

I always fill hot jars with hot salsa or anything else I'm canning. Never had but maybe a couple of jars that didn't seal. Stuck them in the fridge. None have separated. Are you removing as much water from the tomatoes as possible? I give them a good squish to remove some of the seeds and as much water as I can. Then they sit in a colander to drain some more.

Rg

Everything goes into the food processor.
Then it gets heated till it just about boils to kill germs.
But it then goes into the fridge because I do it a little at a time.
Then when I have enough, I can it.
It's not tomato water.
Like I said, the jars start out with about 12"-3/4" air gap in the top.
After canning, when I pull them out of the water, they are filled.
No air.

I'm going to reheat it all again and can it it hot and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #572 on: Aug 31, 2016, 06:38 PM »
I do the same Mac. But I reheat to at least 190degrees before canning. I'm pretty fussy about this stuff. Water needs to be 190 or slightly above to start. Jars sit in the bath till I'm ready to fill. Tablespoon of lemon juice per jar to assure acidity. Back in the bath. 40-50 minutes after it reaches a rolling boil.

Don't know what is happening with you're stuff.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #573 on: Aug 31, 2016, 07:28 PM »
It's quiche day at my house. 2 summer squash, zucchini, bacon, and cheddar cheese.  1 bacon cheeseburger quiche, and an 8 egg Ice Box Lemon Pie.  Yum!  ;D
[img http:///img]
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #574 on: Aug 31, 2016, 07:36 PM »
It's quiche day at my house. 2 summer squash, zucchini, bacon, and cheddar cheese.  1 bacon cheeseburger quiche, and an 8 egg Ice Box Lemon Pie.  Yum!  ;D
[img http:///img]
AMEN. that is all ;D

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #575 on: Aug 31, 2016, 07:40 PM »

Love that this tread is all the rage, there is some great passion here. When the Zombie Apocalypse is upon us I suggest we form a cell, I'm willing to bet we could come up with some solid defensive strategies too.     

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #576 on: Sep 01, 2016, 03:31 AM »
I have a safe full of "defensive strategies "  and a fair larder as well ;).

You're killing me with the quiche........they look terrific.

Yesterday's sauce batch.

Did something different this time. After peeling, coring and giving them a good squish, I ran them through the Kitchen Aid meat grinder. It produced the nicest purée I've made. It worked very well. More "food for thought".

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #577 on: Sep 03, 2016, 06:19 AM »
The quiche looks great Bill...
So does the sauce Bob..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #578 on: Sep 03, 2016, 06:25 AM »
Bob you should look into a Victorio food strainer..  It's a grinder but you get different strainers for different vegetables  and it takes skins cores and seeds out of almost everything..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #579 on: Sep 03, 2016, 07:14 AM »
been reading the stuff you guys are saying about canning.......stupid question......why not just freeze it? is there a reason or is it just your preference to can?

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

Wnthunting

« Reply #580 on: Sep 03, 2016, 08:34 AM »
been reading the stuff you guys are saying about canning.......stupid question......why not just freeze it? is there a reason or is it just your preference to can?

We used to freeze almost everything , but I'm starting to can almost everything now, it takes a little more time but is much easier when you are ready to use the food. No thawing out and and some stuff I eat right out if the jar.. Like beans , peaches , and pears. Also It saves me room in the freezer for more venison😁

Nothing like opening the cubbord in February and having all your own fresh canned fruits and veggies that you grew yourself 👍

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #581 on: Sep 03, 2016, 10:40 AM »
The only thing we freeze now is peppers and shredded zucchini..

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #582 on: Sep 03, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Plus with canning there is no other charge or cost as you put it to store the canned stuff compared to freezing the food. Plus I like the room in the freezer for the elk that I maybe can get this fall or any fall.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #583 on: Sep 03, 2016, 06:45 PM »
I find that freezing  tomato sauces especially, tends to make them watery and they lose some flavor. The sauce I can stays the same consistency and never loses flavor. I put a lot of time into my sauces and salsa. It's well worth he effort for me.

Can't freeze pickles....so what the heck. As long as I'm at it...... ;D

Beans and other green vegetables I blanch  and freeze. Doesn't seem to make any difference. Besides they're hard to can without a pressure cooker. I'm not using a pressure cooker for anything.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #584 on: Sep 03, 2016, 09:22 PM »
I'm not using a pressure cooker for anything.Rg

Scardy cat...   I'm getting a brandy new one..   My buddy has been doing my venison for me but i want to do it myself again..   Lightning cant strike twice in the same spot, can it?  :blink:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.