FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga 2021  (Read 107544 times)

PeterCos

Re: Great Sacandaga 2021
« Reply #1140 on: Apr 12, 2024, 07:46 PM »
Hey guys where exactly is Stump Alley? Want of try it for northerns.

piscesman

« Reply #1141 on: Apr 12, 2024, 08:49 PM »
Yes, plenty of drop offs down my way. Some I came upon unexpectedly. Should get a handheld unit to mark those. Can never find them when I want too. They do hold fish but as you mentioned if not on top forget it. Water levels also play a part in holding those fish. Any suggestions for those handheld units?? Could also use it up in the 1,000 Islands while doing reconnaissance. I did find a hot spot, at least for me last year there that again I stumbled on.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #1142 on: Apr 13, 2024, 06:23 AM »
Peter, "stump" alley is the area south and west of the island group near the campsite. That whole area was cut-off before the lake went in and in the early days of the lake had LOTS of stumps. I know because we use to spend a lot of time COLLECTING sinkers from them. We kept a jar of them at my Uncles sport shop and sold them. At one time Greens on Bunker Hill Rd had about 30+ row boats that were out there every weekend. Most, if not all of the stumps were about gone the last time I was in there. It is now just a large sand flat with some stone walls and old road beds. There are some areas with brush and it gets some pretty up good weed beds. It gets low and uncovers late in the Summer. HINT: The South sides of the Islands is one of the early areas to warm-up in the Spring. Good Luck.

Kim, before I had the Helix I used a Garmin hand held to "mark" spots and it worked pretty good. I still carry every time I go out just in case. I am sure with the new "tech" there is something that will work for you.
I usually won't mark a spot until I have fished the area a few times....h2l

PeterCos

« Reply #1143 on: Apr 13, 2024, 06:05 PM »
Thanks Hunts--does it still hold pike?

piscesman

« Reply #1144 on: Apr 15, 2024, 05:21 PM »
Thanks, H2L. Up at the 1,000 Islands plenty of boat traffic depending on the time of day. 200' water here and 25' away 15' of water. At Sacandaga flats appear out of nowhere when I'm going to different spots taking a short cut. Would be nice to locate those to come back to.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #1145 on: Today at 05:25 AM »
Kim, the hand held Garmin kept "tracks" on the screen so you could back track or use it to make another pass. It didn't show depth....h2l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.