FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Little Wood Shop  (Read 58226 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
The Little Wood Shop
« on: Apr 24, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Well, for some unknown reason I decided at age 66 to build my fifth woodworking shop......in my garage. An understandably smaller operation than my largest, a 30,000 sq. ft. Facility with 25 employees.
This one is for fun and maybe a bit of profit to help an old wood bug's addiction.

Started out looking like this.

Here it is so far.

There's one more piece of equipment in the "refurbish shop", (aka my basement). A 1950 Delta Rockwell table saw/jointer combo.

Fun stuff for sure.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Re: The Little Wood Shop
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2016, 06:47 PM »
You know friend, if you're not careful you'll end up tired and no longer retired. :o Nice shop!
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2016, 02:41 AM »
As long as I'm my own boss, I'm retired. Heck, I'm the best guy I've ever worked for ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tomturkey

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2016, 06:33 AM »
I always said when I  was a self employed carpenter, working alone.

If I talked to my self I always got the right answer and won all arguments.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2016, 05:06 PM »
And......you neve complained about your only employee....you.....taking a day off to go fishing ;D

Rg

tomturkey

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2016, 07:37 AM »
At the job I had as crew leader before I went back on my own I had two of the worst guys I have ever had to work with in my life.

One was 29 going on 12. I had to shut down early the day before the 4th of July because all he was thinking about was going fishing on the 4th.

The other was my brother in law. I never needed a watch because all he did was look at his to tell me when it was break and quitting time. He would watch me mark out and strike chalk lines on a sheet of plywood. When I picked up the saw to make the cuts he would be standing on the cord. DUH

It was a dream going back to working for my self.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Still adding to the shop. Dropped a post for power and dust collection. Added a shelf for the routers and stuff.

Capped the surface with hardwood plywood and Laid up the working edge on the bench this morning.

Glued up a fence extension for the table saw.

Turned the fixed garage window into an awning window the other day. I'll do the other one this weekend.

Also got my parrot vise and glued up a base for it this morning. I'll mount that this weekend.

It's getting there. The more I work around in it the more I change. It evolves by itself it seems.

A wood shop is a living thing I think.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2016, 10:03 PM »
you planning to heat that shop? that is why my dad never went out side to the garage cause of rust and condensation from cold to warm like freeze thaw type temp in the spring .. made his home in the basement but I am guessing your sick of carrying lumber down the stair and good furniture up stairs?

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2016, 10:37 PM »
you planning to heat that shop? that is why my dad never went out side to the garage cause of rust and condensation from cold to warm like freeze thaw type temp in the spring .. made his home in the basement but I am guessing your sick of carrying lumber down the stair and good furniture up stairs?
And that, is how my machine shop got started! After my LAST toolmaker job I had 3 chests of "toolmaker tools." Told my wife I couldn't just store them out in the garage; they needed to be heated, so I might as well heat a lathe and maybe a milling machine too. 3 weeks later a local factory closed. I made a call inquiring about a lathe and maybe a milling machine.  I bought a toolroom....... And awaaaayy we go!!  ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2016, 03:15 AM »
I have no intentions of heating the garage. I'm not worried about rust. I take care of my machines. If need be,  I'll rearrange the basement shop and move some things down there come fall.  I'm not building furniture here. Just small craft items.  Woodworking in the basement is not a good idea anyway. Too much dust and noise for my co-habitant.

If I decide to get really crazy, I'll look for a small space to rent. If nothing comes of it, I'll sell everything. I bought the machines at hugely discounted prices. I'm quite sure I can get everything have into them back again and... I'll have a nice work bench in the garage ;D

Yesterday I picked up a Dewalt laminate trim router with a broken base piece  and no case or paperwork.  It's a discontinued display model. Retail on it was $115. They sold it to me for $20. I ordered the base for another $25. It'll be handy to use for edging.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2016, 03:30 AM »
Fishmachine, what are your machining capabilities? I'm always in need of small parts for fixtures and jigs. Process fixtures and pattern jigs were my specialty in my first couple wood shops. I had a niche and designed and built work stations and assembly fixtures for Kodak , Xerox and Bausch and Lomb.

When I apprenticed with a gunsmith for a few years, I learned I was a lousy machinist. I like wood better. I can use the big lines on the ruler ;D

Anyway, I want to fabricate a couple scaled down T-fences for the band saw and a small table saw. There's an eccentric cam I need made that's beyond my limitations.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2016, 08:20 AM »
You know what they say, if I can't make it, it can't be built!  :o

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2016, 09:11 PM »
Cool!
I've got a protons in mind. Need to mock one up in wood, then do something serious.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2016, 09:16 PM »
You know what they say, if I can't make it, it can't be built!  :o

here is a quick question for ya how much would you charge to make a very large lead mold for a 2 pound surf claw sinker??

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2016, 10:29 PM »
here is a quick question for ya how much would you charge to make a very large lead mold for a 2 pound surf claw sinker??
I'd need to know more about what you want. I'm not too sure what a surf claw sinker is.  A quick search yielded two different style claw sinkers.  One was triangular the other was tear drop with a shank.  Sizes, sketches and scaled pictures help, and probably best through a PM because I don't want to hijack anybody's thread.  8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.