FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Erie early spring bite  (Read 21170 times)

crappieslayer38

Re: Lake Erie early spring bite
« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Ok guys... NY season is closing here in a few days and my itch to catch walleyes isn't going away despite having a great last few weeks on the water.. I am looking to come down and fish Ohio waters for some eyes. I'm not looking for spot on spot or gps chords... Just looking to get some general Intel to help my planning! It's a 4 hour drive for me and I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before making the trip.. So, a couple questions...
What's the best place to launch from?
What is the best way to get a conditions report (these boards aren't always very active with guys (like ice shanty is).
Thanks for your help
if you get to maumee early enough, there a launch in maple street downriver from Orleans park and white street. There is also a campground known as schroeder's at buttonwoid access and there is an 8$ fee to launch there. Just depends on water level and how big your boat is. If you have a very small boat and the water is high you could launch at Orleans Park also. Just shoot me a message anytime because starting Monday I'll be there everyday until the walleye are gone. Thank the Lord I have an understanding wife.  ;D I'll let you know when the best time for you to come up. We need a good rain and the push will start. I won't let anyone drive 4 hrs plus for nothing......hate that :-\

fishinjohn

« Reply #31 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:46 AM »
if you get to maumee early enough, there a launch in maple street downriver from Orleans park and white street. There is also a campground known as schroeder's at buttonwoid access and there is an 8$ fee to launch there. Just depends on water level and how big your boat is. If you have a very small boat and the water is high you could launch at Orleans Park also. Just shoot me a message anytime because starting Monday I'll be there everyday until the walleye are gone. Thank the Lord I have an understanding wife.  ;D I'll let you know when the best time for you to come up. We need a good rain and the push will start. I won't let anyone drive 4 hrs plus for nothing......hate that :-\
Thanks! Greatly appreciated!! :)
I have 2 boats actually, I hate to not have what I need to fish where I want to!!(and no wife I have to make understand! :laugh:lol).. I have a 19ft Crestliner with a 90hp on the back and I have a 12ft smokercraft with a 9.9hp on the back.  In the summer months when I'm fishing erie I use that 9.9 as my kicker on big boat... the smaller boat I use to fish the upper allegany river..

crappieslayer38

« Reply #32 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:53 AM »
I'd bring the smoker craft if I was you. No need for a big boat in the river.I have a 14ft. Alumicraft old school river boat and I've just gotten a anchor made for the river. You definitely want a good anchor or you'll be playing bumper boats in no time :o. Usually doesn't go over very well lol.

fishinjohn

« Reply #33 on: Mar 23, 2017, 11:03 AM »
I'd bring the smoker craft if I was you. No need for a big boat in the river.I have a 14ft. Alumicraft old school river boat and I've just gotten a anchor made for the river. You definitely want a good anchor or you'll be playing bumper boats in no time :o. Usually doesn't go over very well lol.
I will give it some thought... really wouldn't mind the big boat out on the lake.
Maybe I can toss the little boat inside the big boat and bring both! Lol  ::)

boondox

« Reply #34 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:26 PM »
See if you can find 30 to 45 pounds of logging chain to use as a chain anchor..  put a steel ring threw it and tie off at the steel ring to your anchor rope get some tite locks and divers like jet or even dipsey when legal we run hot n tots for walleye and steel head but I am sure you figure it all out.. don't forget to read up on the rules also have heard the maumee is a parking spot for the ohis dnr most of all the streches producing heard they give tickets real easy.. by a few on here..  for sure the smoker craft would be best for the river get some down east holders or tite loc's and check regs and run divers and minnows if aloud or use some thing like a hot n tot on a long line..  also I think your aloud two rod but it maybe thatall your aloud is one.. don't know??that why I say check rules!

boondox

« Reply #35 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Could always stay home and hit the perch bite lol's got them early in the a.m. today.. even caught and release a few blue gills..

crappieslayer38

« Reply #36 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:26 PM »
I took it he was referring to launching in the river and fishing. There is a single hook only rule in effect from march 1 until may1. Hook May not be more than 1/2 inch from shank to point.Most people use a floating jighead carolina rigged. Inline (trolling) sinker, 18 to 48 inch leader and a floating jig along with either 2 or 3 inch twister tails. Definitely don't try trolling in the maumee. Youd have 2 oz lead projectiles coming from every angle lol. Anyway hope that tid-bit helps.

boondox

« Reply #37 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I took it he was referring to launching in the river and fishing. There is a single hook only rule in effect from march 1 until may1. Hook May not be more than 1/2 inch from shank to point.Most people use a floating jighead carolina rigged. Inline (trolling) sinker, 18 to 48 inch leader and a floating jig along with either 2 or 3 inch twister tails. Definitely don't try trolling in the maumee. Youd have 2 oz lead projectiles coming from every angle lol. Anyway hope that tid-bit helps.

Are you guys allowed to use live bait on the Maumee ?? Or other rivers? Or is it twister tails only?? Are you swing the rig across current after anchoring or are you plunking it and throwing it in a rod holder?? If you can use bigger weights I am sure you could set it up like trolling a twister tail sitting still .. we troll sitting still buy plunking in the river in port huron  and get tons of eyes and steel head etc on our rigs.. would be cool to find some thing different..

fishinjohn

« Reply #38 on: Mar 24, 2017, 04:49 AM »
Correct,  if I launch in the river, I'll fish in the river..
And if I was to fish the river I would try to jig or throw plastics. Right before season closed here, I was VERY  successfully throwing plastics for the eyes in the river!

crappieslayer38

« Reply #39 on: Mar 24, 2017, 06:24 AM »
John you anchor and cast out and let the current carry your jig downstream in front of the walleye. I believe the fish are in protection mode and pick the lure up to get it away from there bed. That big of a weight would probably too much to be able to feel unless you're using 4 ounce egg sinkers lol.

fishinjohn

« Reply #40 on: Mar 24, 2017, 08:14 AM »
John you anchor and cast out and let the current carry your jig downstream in front of the walleye.
The current I was fishing in wasn't awful..  1/4 oz head on a 4"piece of plastic... cast, let sink, reel 4x, let sink, pump rod 2x, let sink, and BAM...  most fish I caught were when jig was just sitting stationary on bottom believe it or not

boondox

« Reply #41 on: Mar 24, 2017, 11:52 AM »
The current I was fishing in wasn't awful..  1/4 oz head on a 4"piece of plastic... cast, let sink, reel 4x, let sink, pump rod 2x, let sink, and BAM...  most fish I caught were when jig was just sitting stationary on bottom believe it or not

Got to chage set up I think it's illegal to use lead single hook jig heads during the spawn?? In ohio

By the way thanks gor info crappieslayer38..

crappieslayer38

« Reply #42 on: Mar 25, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Got to chage set up I think it's illegal to use lead single hook jig heads during the spawn?? In ohio

By the way thanks gor info crappieslayer38..
yw b.d. darn autocorrect won't let me put your name. And yes you may use A leadhead jig. Meaning one hook and again the 1/2 inch from point to shank still apply.

crappieslayer38

« Reply #43 on: Mar 25, 2017, 03:24 PM »
The current I was fishing in wasn't awful..  1/4 oz head on a 4"piece of plastic... cast, let sink, reel 4x, let sink, pump rod 2x, let sink, and BAM...  most fish I caught were when jig was just sitting stationary on bottom believe it or not
when the river is up you will come across places with awful current. From ford on up to jerome gets pretty turbid during high water.

boondox

« Reply #44 on: Mar 25, 2017, 09:25 PM »
yw b.d. darn autocorrect won't let me put your name. And yes you may use A leadhead jig. Meaning one hook and again the 1/2 inch from point to shank still apply.

When you write my screen name look at the section for auto correct on my phone there is a check mark like you corrected it next time touch that it should let it fly.. if not not sure what to do?? Any how thanks for thd info on the jig..

Fishinjohn: remember if your ambitious there always these in the st clair river this one was caught last night till the ice chased us out.. there just starting to come in here.. so I would say get ready lol's .. also a white fish 5 pounds and a 10 pound Alantic salmon were caught same location by the group ahead of us....we get mixed bags here so like I said if you feel ambitious come on up to michigan you guys are always welcome.. by the way that's a 18 incher I has 10 other hits from other walleye to that were missed cause to soft of bite on to soft of rod..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.