FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Little Wood Shop 2019  (Read 151597 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: The Little Wood Shop 2019
« Reply #735 on: Aug 25, 2020, 05:42 PM »
I’ve restored a number of table saws, band saws and jointers over the years. Here’s what i do.

Start with a serious coat of PB Blaster. Let it sit for at least a day.
Use a steel bristle brush and scour the surface. Wipe it clean as you can and clean it with denatured alcohol. Repeat at least 2 or 3 times.

See where you are at this point to decide how aggressive you need to be. I always avoided using sandpaper as much as possible. Although, I have used the orbital sander With 220g. in some instances. Better to have a flat surface with a few pits than one with an uneven surface.

Johnson’s paste wax will release 99% of the surface oils and remaining rust. If the surface is pitted, that’s life. Better to leave it and remove as much rust as possible. I never use Navel Jelly. It strips the metal more than it needs to be.

Works for me anyway.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

O

« Reply #736 on: Aug 25, 2020, 07:38 PM »
Thank you sir, I figured you would have an answer!  I’ll take some before and after pics. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #737 on: Aug 27, 2020, 05:24 AM »
I love restoring old woodworking equipment or any machinery fro that matter. Look forward to seeing some pics.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #738 on: Sep 21, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Well, the tool migration started today. Moving the shop from the garage to the basement. My son stopped over and helped me get the new to me band saw downstairs. Yikes that thing is heavy! Still a couple improvements I’m going to make to it. New tires, bearing type blade guides and a link drive belt.

It’ll take about a week to get things set up and organized. I’m getting itchy to turn some stuff.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #739 on: Sep 25, 2020, 01:57 PM »
My son asked me to make him a sphere he could use to create a golf trophy for his foursome.

My first turning project of the year and my first sphere.

It’s pretty darned round too. Interesting process.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #740 on: Sep 26, 2020, 11:03 PM »

Thursday is opening day of archery.  I'm ready and going to be comfortable.  Of course I had to put a bird feeder in the middle of the food plot.  Good luck and stay safe everyone

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #741 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:51 AM »
Looks comfy! Good luck.....keep your head down.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #742 on: Oct 19, 2020, 04:24 PM »
Been finishing up getting the new to me band saw in shape.

Made a rip fence for it. Adjustable for blade drift and right angle to the blade.

Made a cross cut sled for all the odds and ends that need to be whacked up

Worked up a better dust collection port which turned out remarkably efficient.

Put casters on the base and added a shelf for storage.

Also invested in some good quality Olson blades. Huge difference between them and the Bosch cheap piece of junk I picked up at lowes.

This saw is the exact same saw I had in my cabinet shop for so many years. It already feels like an old friend. I’m sure we’ll spend a lot of time together.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #743 on: Oct 19, 2020, 08:46 PM »
looks great

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #744 on: Oct 20, 2020, 03:30 AM »
Thanks...its getting there. I’ll make a circle fixture for it next and a gauge to set the fence. Might swap out the tensioning knob for a crank handle too. I like to take the tension off the blade when its going to sit for a while and that knob always drives me crazy.

A fun rainy day in the shop.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #745 on: Oct 20, 2020, 07:09 AM »
Been working on a contraption to paint the floats I’ve started making.

Still in the contraption stage but it turns the chuck at 50rpm and seems a perfect speed. Need to make a small roller rest for the float shaft to stabilize it  and another contraption to use as a dryer.

Fun tinkering!
Rg

iceman260

« Reply #746 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Nice contraption Rg I paint items on my lath it some times makes a mess.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #747 on: Oct 20, 2020, 02:32 PM »
Yeah, my lathe only slows to around 250rpm. Tried it but it was just too fast to control on that small piece. Might have to go to pillow block bearings though. We shall see.

What kind of goodies do you turn? Like to find some other turners here to share ideas with. The wood turning forums I’ve looked at are a bit Hoity toity for me.

Whipped up a gauge to set the fence .

I left the fence so it would adjust for drift in re-sawing but on average it should rip a straight line. Especially with the blades I bought. They’re just plain awesome.

Good to be back in the “little wood shop” again.
Rg

tomturkey

« Reply #748 on: Oct 23, 2020, 07:23 AM »
My son asked me to make him a sphere he could use to create a golf trophy for his foursome.

My first turning project of the year and my first sphere.

It’s pretty darned round too. Interesting process.

Rg

A friend of mine made me a bowl with a sphere that you can make spin around the  bowl. He made his of own cutter to make bowls by cutting tapered pieces out of a 1 1/2 inch piece of lumber. He would stack and glue them to make a  bowl. The old skin flint as I called him, as he still had the first penny he made, would get an idea on some thing. He would get bored when he found out it would work and move on to some thing else. A lot of the things he thought up could have been pattented if he had not gotten bored and moved on.

One thing comes to mind. He made a door closer for his screen door that was not just a door closer but a shock absorber when the wind caught it and slamed it open. That could have made him money if he had pattented it and sold the pattent.

iceman260

« Reply #749 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:04 AM »
I use my lathe for legs for furniture projects, I did just turn some reel handles, my version of green hornet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.