FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smoke It If You've Got It!  (Read 146503 times)

Perch-Pirate

Re: Smoke It If You've Got It!
« Reply #870 on: Apr 15, 2021, 03:07 PM »
Just getting started!! Sharp Cheddar, Swiss and Monterary Jack! Applewood pellets. Perfect weather for cold smoking. Going to cold smoke some chickens this week too!

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #871 on: Apr 15, 2021, 03:20 PM »
Just getting started!! Sharp Cheddar, Swiss and Monterary Jack! Applewood pellets. Perfect weather for cold smoking. Going to cold smoke some chickens this week too!

Nice, love smoked cheese.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #872 on: Apr 15, 2021, 04:01 PM »
Looks great..👍
 You just buy a block of cheese and cut it?
  And how long do you smoke it for??
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #873 on: Apr 15, 2021, 06:02 PM »
Thanks!
You can buy a block or you can get Walmart or Aldis cheese. Cheap is good. You won’t know the difference in the end.

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #874 on: Apr 15, 2021, 06:04 PM »
2 hours or so, but it has to stay below 90 or you will have a real mess on your hands.
That is why we use the smoke tube and you can only do it when temps are low outside and overcast. Just the sun on a black grill or smoker can elevate temps above 100

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #875 on: May 02, 2021, 05:46 AM »
Had three trees dropped in the yard yesterday. Decided to throw a picnic roast in the smoker for the day. Thermoworks woke me up at 2:30am to let me know it was done

fishinjohn

« Reply #876 on: May 02, 2021, 05:52 AM »
Looks great..👍
 You just buy a block of cheese and cut it?
  And how long do you smoke it for??
I dont slice it prior to smoking.... keeping it one big block during the smoking process lessens the chance of it altering the consistency due to temperature...
But as previously stated, gotta keep temps below 100° or it runs the cheese!!!! 85° is optimal

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #877 on: May 04, 2021, 10:58 AM »
John,
Do you feel you get good smoke penetration when you do a big block? Also, what do you consider a big block?
Thanks!

fishinjohn

« Reply #878 on: May 04, 2021, 01:15 PM »
John,
Do you feel you get good smoke penetration when you do a big block? Also, what do you consider a big block?
Thanks!
Pirate
I have mine in smoker for around 4 -5 hours.. you will not get smoke penetration into the center of the block however cheese is porous and it definitely sucks in the flavor!!!
I slice it into my slices and put in baggie or vaccume seal it and the cheese that doesnt have the smoke color to it(the inside) will suck up the flavor off the part that has a higher smoke content
I like my cheese with a smokey flavor without comprising the actual flavor of the cheese.. as far as the size of the block that really doesnt matter.. I usually smoke a 2 1/2 lb block of cheese.. I'll cut it in half and smoke both halves.. one gets vaccume sealed and other gets put into a baggie for immediate consumption

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #879 on: May 04, 2021, 04:31 PM »
Thanks John!
That is kind of what I figured. I usually do 1# max and many times just do the 8 oz blocks for less time.
I need to find an economical source for large quantities. Most stores carry only good quality cheese in large blocks or wheels.
I have been using Walmart and Aldi for the small blocks. They work good but have to be careful of how long you go.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #880 on: May 09, 2021, 08:56 PM »
Smoked salmon for Mother’s Day. Grilled some prosciutto wrapped asparagus and the princess made some fried rice

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #881 on: May 10, 2021, 04:41 AM »
Stopped at my neighbors yesterday for a beer and he was smoking ribs...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #882 on: May 10, 2021, 05:55 AM »
Good stop!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #883 on: May 28, 2021, 11:07 PM »
Buncha stuff going into the pellet smoker tomorrow.

Brisket, beans, pork butt, pork chops, and a small cheese cake.

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #884 on: May 29, 2021, 07:44 AM »
We are all at camp trying to turkey hunt and  do some relaxing. I’m hoping we at least get a break in the rain. We can handle the cold.
Put a 25 pound brisket on at 8:30 last night...she’s approaching 160 now.
Got a pan of beans that will be going in to catch some drippings and smoke.
My brother brought a 200 count bag of little necks.
Making Texas twinkies with the leftover brisket for a treat around the hopeful campfire tonight!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.