FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga 2021  (Read 106943 times)

LooseEye90

Re: Great Sacandaga 2019
« Reply #75 on: Jun 24, 2019, 04:48 PM »
Yes, must be. I also wondered if the wind this weekend stirred up the cool water too.  That’s said, I really don’t know how choppy it got since I stayed home and did yard work.

All the fish were pretty skinny except the bass. The keeper walleye measured 17” and very thin.

Jpb

« Reply #76 on: Jun 24, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Fished Sunday main lake for a few hours before dark. Choppy and wind was a bit much for jig. Caught 3 shorts, 1 16 inch. All on bottom bouncers. Still not where they should be. Scattered around.

Boat ramp was a zoo at 5 pm on my way in. Fun to watch though.

Looking forward to a normal pattern. Can’t fish for a few weeks due to travel so I hope it settles in by then. Good luck.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #77 on: Jun 25, 2019, 06:31 AM »
Jpb, Sunday afternoon at the launch is great entertainment. As long as you are watching and not waiting. A lot can change on the lake in 2 weeks. I saw 2 guys at the launch last night who hadn't caught anything. They told me "it is getting too late into the season". Over the years I have found that it "starts" the last week of June....h2l

beerbellybob106

« Reply #78 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Jpb, Sunday afternoon at the launch is great entertainment. As long as you are watching and not waiting. A lot can change on the lake in 2 weeks. I saw 2 guys at the launch last night who hadn't caught anything. They told me "it is getting too late into the season". Over the years I have found that it "starts" the last week of June....h2l

In my experience I find the fishing is the best in late August - october the fish seem to be more concentrated probably due to low water levels. I was out Sunday 2 keepers biggest was 19" also had a pretty cool experience , a perch grabbed a stick bait on the downrigger but never tripped it when it did finally trip it was because a pike had grabbed the perch id been dragging around unfortunately he spit it just short of the boat. The lake seemed pretty muddy up towards northville. Hoping it gets better the next few weeks as the water warms.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #79 on: Jun 25, 2019, 02:22 PM »
BBB, with all this rain, there may not be any low water levels this year. Nice on the 19 incher. It's pretty cool when a pike hits a fish on your line. When it happens right next to the boat it is a big surprise. Had one hit a walleye I was about to net, it took it right to bottom and dropped it. There wasn't much skin left on the walleye....h2l

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #80 on: Jun 27, 2019, 05:25 AM »
Got out yesterday in the afternoon for a couple hours before the t-storms came though. Water temp is up to 73/74 out in the lake. We caught 10, five keepers. Didn't keep any.
Marked lots of bait balls in some areas....h2l

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #81 on: Jun 27, 2019, 05:29 AM »
Way to go H2L.  Congratulations....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #82 on: Jun 27, 2019, 06:34 AM »

Nice going h2l

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #83 on: Jun 27, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Had to work for them today. Got 18, 6 keepers, kept 4. Most came from 26 fow. All on jigs except 2 on spinners. Got warm and a pretty good west wind...h2l

wallyworld

« Reply #84 on: Jun 28, 2019, 04:45 AM »
Way to stick with it H2L  :D absolutely NO breeze at all on Oneida just hot hot hot  :o

LooseEye90

« Reply #85 on: Jun 28, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Sounds like a good day H2L! Thanks for the report.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #86 on: Jun 28, 2019, 02:54 PM »
8 walleyes, one very nice perch. 7 were keepers, didn't keep any. Dick didn't want to clean fish..HOT….h2l

wallyworld

« Reply #87 on: Jun 28, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Great job Congrats  :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #88 on: Jun 29, 2019, 08:19 AM »

All the fish were pretty skinny except the bass. The keeper walleye measured 17” and very thin.

You are not the first to report "skinny" walleyes. Maybe early in the season you may see a skinny fish, but I am not seeing any that look skinny. We boated almost 40 the last 3 days and they all looked fine. Lots of 14 to 15 inch fish but even those looked like they were doing OK. We kept 8 or 9 and when Dick cleaned them they produced some good dinners for him. It has been a late spring and bait balls are just starting to show up. With the cooler water temps we had early I am not sure of what kind of bug hatch we had out on the lake. I know I haven't seen any indication of a bug hatch out on the lake. Water temp yesterday was 74 out on the lake. You would think if the bass looked good, the walleyes would be OK, they live in the same lake and have the same food available.....h2l

LooseEye90

« Reply #89 on: Jun 29, 2019, 08:58 PM »
.....You would think if the bass looked good, the walleyes would be OK, they live in the same lake and have the same food available.....h2l

Agreed...the rest of the fish seemed fine, just the one bigger guy was a pretty thin. I figured it could have been post spawn.

When you speak of bait balls, is the main forage perch fry? A few weeks ago fishing the north end I saw massive schools of minnows in the shallows but wasn’t sure what they were.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.