FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: dead muskie  (Read 8144 times)

Hood

Re: dead muskie
« Reply #15 on: Jul 13, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Definately had a turtle chewing on him....you sure thats not a Northern?
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #16 on: Jul 13, 2005, 01:40 PM »
it does look alot like a northern. its a nice fish by any standards, they say that you can tell the differnce by the gill plate. but i cant see close enough.
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

blaque

« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Id guess northern judging by the orientation of the markings. Muskie are usually more of a vertical stripe, and Pike are Horizontal and more of an elongated spot. Which this looks to be. Also.....and Im just going by experience here, but i believe a musky would have a redder hue to the fins and tail section (obviously the tails gone) but the fins dont appear to be pinkish or reddish. Again.........just my take, im by no means one who handles alot of musky or northern, aaaaanywaaaaay, blah blah blah, definitely a good fish, strange habitat for either a northern or a musky isnt it?? I dunno, seems to stray from the normal environment that Im used to seeing them in, or hearing about them in. One things for sure,  he hadnt been dead long before you stumbled upon him.......looks pretty fresh.

gillmaniac

• I Don't Go Fishing, I Go Catching!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2005, 02:54 PM »
i have two other pics of it didnt even think to post them.

we have two muskies on the wall at this camp and i am not sure if there are northens in here. well you guys would know the look better than me because i hardly ever fish for muskie/pike so thanks for all the help.

gill
I am a maniac for gills!!!!

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2005, 03:06 PM »
id bet money that thats a northern. just by the pattern, fins and coloration.
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

gillmaniac

• I Don't Go Fishing, I Go Catching!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2005, 03:35 PM »
did a quick google pictures search and......
this is a random pic of a pike on google

this is the pic of my fish

this is a random pic of a muskie on google

so that determins it is a pike and not a muskie.you guys were right it is a pike :P
I am a maniac for gills!!!!

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2005, 09:00 AM »
You can also tell the difference by the teeth. Pike have lots of small teeth while muskies are packing a mouth full of big canine like teeth.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

reubenpa

« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2005, 11:52 AM »
Thats a nice sized pike, too bad you didn't get him and eat him before it died :)
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #23 on: Jul 17, 2005, 12:07 PM »
there's no doubt it is a northern pike.  From the looks of the fish's condition, it did not appear to be very healthy when it died with the head over proportioned to the body.  Looks like that fish had lost alot of weight in a short period of time...there's alot of naturally occuring digestive disorders and diseases that could cause this, along with good ol' death by old age.

fishbreath

« Reply #24 on: Jul 17, 2005, 12:26 PM »
If it had dentures it might of been an old fish. Definitely a pike.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #25 on: Jul 17, 2005, 07:40 PM »
Yeah, looking at that pic, its definately a pike, a big one, that cut on its tail looks like it could be fatal if pre mortum...

gunner1

« Reply #26 on: Jul 19, 2005, 12:16 PM »
That is a good size fish.  It looks alot like a northern to me, though I've been wrong before.  If that was attacked by another fish before dying, I want to see that other fish. :o

It IS a northern. Judging by the vivid color in the wounds, it hadn't died very long before being found either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.