FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 15679 times)

Doubles Shooter

Bluebirds
« on: Nov 30, 2020, 05:24 AM »
I was working out in the back yard yesterday getting the last of the winterization projects finished when 5 bluebirds showed up. They were checking out the bird house and hung out for near 20 minutes. I'm thinking it was the last family to fledge this year just stopping by. I thought they would have left a long time ago. Is this normal for them to be here this late? Never seen them this late. I live by Letchworth State park in WNY.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Bluebirds
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2020, 05:39 AM »
Im still hearing and seeing them around here .
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:20 AM »
I took our bluebird house down for the winter. They’ve been around and battling with the sparrows. I covered the entrance to keep the sparrows out and then a woodpecker put a good sized hole in the side of the house. I’ll build a new one for spring.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:31 AM »
I took our bluebird house down for the winter. They’ve been around and battling with the sparrows. I covered the entrance to keep the sparrows out and then a woodpecker put a good sized hole in the side of the house. I’ll build a new one for spring.

Rg

I've been leaving mine up. When the weather gets cold, I've had up to 5 Downey woodpeckers gathering in it for the night. The sparrows will not be a problem. My RWS 45 will take care of them. ::)
I'm also going to build new houses with my grandson too.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:50 AM »
A lot of birds will spend a wintery night in an empty house...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:55 AM »
A lot of birds will spend a wintery night in an empty house...
Yes. Nature is truly amazing if a person takes the time to look.

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:01 AM »
I’m in the coast of NH, but seems like ours stay here year round?

old man river

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:08 AM »
yes I have bluebirds around here  clyde ny
also they are coming to bird feeder from time to time
I have never removed  bird houses  should I ?
ralph

wallyworld

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:32 AM »
Bluebirds stick around here all winter too. Put out some dried mealworms for them near your feeders or birdhouses, a welocome treat for them on a cold winters day (chickadees too  ;))

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Bluebirds stick around here all winter too. Put out some dried mealworms for them near your feeders or birdhouses, a welocome treat for them on a cold winters day (chickadees too  ;))

And squirrels and nuthatches too! If you guys like blue birds make one of these and throw some mealy works in there:

We regularly have a dozen blue birds fighting over it at lunch time. Really neat to see them so close, we have had 8 on that feeder at one time before.

zwiggles

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2020, 11:31 AM »
Here’s the inside view:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2020, 11:46 AM »
That particular house is only one of a dozen we have out. It was very old and pretty much destroyed by the woodpecker. Normally I’d leave it up year round. Theres plenty of rooms available for our feathered friends.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for the education all. In my 68 years I've never seen one late fall, early winter.
It took 35 years for them to use the house in my yard, but they fledged 6 litters in the last 5 years.

old man river

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2020, 02:09 PM »
 yup nice only problem is DAMM sparrow keeping them out of boxes
ralph

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2020, 03:03 PM »
I've seen small groups of bluebirds here in northeastern Indiana in winter too. I don't recall if it was early, middle, or late though.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.