FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Minnkota Endura C2 transom mount electric water inside...  (Read 1755 times)

taxid

As was indicated I had boat dock issues recently where I had my boat swamped due to high waves off a 7 mile long lake. My small transom mount endura C2 got water inside. I took the head cover off and there is no water in the head now. Apparently the circuit boat is sealed too, or there isn't one. Looks like relays instead, but I'm no electrician. However, curious if water went down the shaft to the prop end if that is an issue as in corrosion issues later?  I am going to call Minn Kota customer service during the day tomorrow but thought I would throw this on here to see if anyone has any experience with this. 

No I haven't turned it on yet as I was worried I might have a waterlogged circuit board inside before I opened up the head cover.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Minnkota Endura C2 transom mount electric water inside...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2021, 10:13 AM »
O.K. talked to customer service and it's possible water did get into the lower motor unit. He said to pull one of the bolts and see if there is indication of issues etc. as moisture cruddy water etc. Something about cleaning off a stainless steel bolt but the main concern are the brushes that could deteriorate.

The motor is only $99.00 so if push comes to shove I think I'd just buy another one if I need to. I use it as a back up if I have outboard motor issues or on a few local lakes with electric motors only. Now that I have a terrova it may not even be necessary.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2021, 02:36 PM »
I have a 55lb transom unit I can send you.  Just pay shipping.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2021, 06:05 PM »
I have a 55lb transom unit I can send you.  Just pay shipping.

Wow Jon that's generous, and I really appreciate the offer, but not sure I even need this one anymore with the Terrova, and my 4 cycle Yamaha that runs like a champ and idles down to nothing. I'll see what happens with this one. I'm sure there's someone else that would be interested in that deal!

On another note I thought I'd just go out and buy a 60 amp circuit breaker to put between my battery and the Terrova, but it was not meant to be after two auto parts stores, Ace hardware, and a TSC. I didn't try Menards or Home Depot as they are a good distance away, and it might have been a waste of time. It's coming via Amazon though. The local brick and mortar stores complain about Amazon, but they don't have want I need half the time!

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2021, 07:06 PM »
Ah the breaker is absolutely key!  Agree regarding those stores.  Tend to drive for hours visiting 5 pr 6 only to find it online.  Cabelas was the worst...the world foremost outfitter almost never had the specific things I needed. 

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2021, 07:50 AM »
if water is in lower unit it will rust tight by spring.  there is a certified minnkota servicer in ft wayne.  i have taken 2 motors there under warranty still that leaked and rusted.  minnkota quality has really fallen off. imo  first one i bought in mid early 80s.  it lasted 20yrs!  the second lasted 2 the thirds went in for leak repair after first year.  i made a cover for mine out of old kitchen trash can bottom and a bungee because it sets outside all summer.

I noticed only one of the set screws had a rubber gasket on the lower unit. Should have been one on both set screws.  Or one of them disentegrated recently. I think I've had this one since the 90's so I think it's had a good run. Sits outside on the boat all winter. Probably should have brought it inside which I will be doing on the Terrova.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2021, 02:19 PM »
I didnt do a quick release mount on this boat but had it on the last one and would take it off to put the boat cover on.  My current unit sits under the cover.  Speaking of lower units I couldnt get the confidence to replace mine on my 2004 johnson 150 but a shop is going to do ut this week.  I have the new unit and driveshaft here.  Be nice to use spot lock again.

I must have started the 250 suzuki on my other boat 40 times drifting eels....and the shallow stripers were not having it!

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Took the Terrova out today and felt overwhelmed with all the options. Even brought out the laminated cheat sheet and notes I took from a video and still felt overwhelmed. I'm what they call a techtard. I'll just have to take it out several times and play with  it I guess. Was excited to see I actually have a built in transducer I can hook up to my Helix 7. I'd rather have the fish finder under the Terrova anyway so I can jig right on top of fish I mark.

Like everything else I'll probably wonder later what I thought was so hard about it.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2021, 04:01 PM »
I didnt do a quick release mount on this boat but had it on the last one and would take it off to put the boat cover on.  My current unit sits under the cover.  Speaking of lower units I couldnt get the confidence to replace mine on my 2004 johnson 150 but a shop is going to do ut this week.  I have the new unit and driveshaft here.  Be nice to use spot lock again.

I must have started the 250 suzuki on my other boat 40 times drifting eels....and the shallow stripers were not having it!

Sometimes it's not worth the aggravation to do it yourself.

I had a Johnson 15 hp 2 stroke once that kept cutting out on me at top speed. Took it to the same guy twice and still the same problem. Third time he got angry and told me there was nothing wrong with it. (I changed the fuel tank and line too to no avail.) Took it to another marina and they knew what the problem was immediately. Never had that problem again. I did end up selling it. I now have a Yamaha 4 stroke and love it. It idles down to nothing! Great for trolling.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2021, 06:43 PM »
Yup im with you there Cecil.  Dropped it off this am.  Hydralic steering needs new seals and a flush.  New shop for me.  They do a good job on this boat ill have them service and shrink wrap the proline. 

Ever mess with trim tabs? I think I hit a kog and screwed one up.

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2021, 08:17 PM »

I drilled thru the control board on my tabs.

:o

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2021, 08:18 PM »
Yup im with you there Cecil.  Dropped it off this am.  Hydralic steering needs new seals and a flush.  New shop for me.  They do a good job on this boat ill have them service and shrink wrap the proline. 

Nope. I think my outboards have not been big enough for trim tabs?

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2021, 09:26 AM »

I drilled thru the control board on my tabs.

:o

They are nice when they work....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.