FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Merlin Falcon Sighting  (Read 1119 times)

zwiggles

Merlin Falcon Sighting
« on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:32 AM »
Anyone else ever seen one of these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_(bird)

The other day as I finished lunch I was checking the bird feeders, and out of no where one of these come down and proceed to mail a morning dove (I think) on the ground by the feeders. It saw me through the window and proceeded to bounce into the woods with the bird in tow. Not surprisingly the bird feeders remained empty the rest of the day….

Still really neat to see, they have a really striking blue color against the snow.

Doubles Shooter

Re: Merlin Falcon Sighting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2022, 04:00 PM »
They hit our feeders too. We'll be sitting out back. Suddenly there will be a grey streak coming from the woods, a bunch of panicked calls and an explosion of birds, then total silence with nothing moving other than a cloud of feathers where a bird once was.

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2022, 04:12 PM »
I hate seeing a song bird get killed injured when it hits a window, but seeing this was neat… we have kestrel’s that I have seen many times before, but this was a new one for us!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2022, 04:14 PM »
Pretty cool Z.  I have sharp shinned hawks and they terrorize my birds..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Bartman44

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:30 PM »
Cool. We have Cooper's hawks in my neighborhood, and they are known to eat a few small birds each day.

I took this photo of a merlin a few weeks back. Thought it was a kestrel until I got a better look at the photo.   

Speaking of visitors, I looked out my kitchen window recently and this young hawk was sitting on my deck post staring right in at me. Staring contest.

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:48 PM »
Beautiful bird. Ironic that it has the nickname of pigeon hawk

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2022, 08:36 AM »
Have a friend that lives in Upper Sandusky, OH. Last week heard a big crash in the house and an unknown species of hawk came crashing thru a double hung window. Sat on floor for a minute then flew out through the hole it had made!!!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.