FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye fishing  (Read 1832 times)

marvinnielsen

Walleye fishing
« on: Feb 23, 2022, 12:05 AM »
Are walleyes active in the winter? Where do walleyes go in winter?

fish/hunt4ever

Re: Walleye fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2022, 01:12 AM »
Well have been ice fishing walleye but the seem to like running up shallow at night and chase the bait up against the bottom of the ice to trap them, but depends on the water temp how active they are and where they will go.

IFF

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2022, 02:06 AM »
Yes they are active, might say they never sleep, just have to dangle A “free” sample in front of them. I t helps to be in the right place at the right time  ;) ;)
*¿*  Bud

addicted88

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08:05 PM »
Are walleyes active in the winter? Where do walleyes go in winter?
yes they are they have been fattening up for the spawn fall winter spring are the best times….Current breaks, coves, eddy’s are my favorite places. It also depends we’re you fish I’m a river guy and I don’t have any experience fishing lakes.

mcully

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2022, 10:39 AM »
Around here it's time to check some spawning creeks with the next flush of water into the frozen eye lakes. I get some just as they come in with stickbaits slow reeled close to the bottom right up until the season closes mid March. Not many of us do it but it can be productive.

marvinnielsen

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2022, 08:21 AM »
Well have been ice fishing walleye but the seem to like running up shallow at night and chase the bait up against the bottom of the ice to trap them, but depends on the water temp how active they are and where they will go.

What is the best bait for walleyes?

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2022, 12:44 PM »
Cannot go wrong with a jig and a minnow. Ice fishing I just use minnows on tip ups usually. Have been getting into jigging over the years with out much luck but the jigging rap style baits and buckshot have been the best for me with the Hali jigs as good perch baits.  Open water I troll in the boat and use mainly worm harnesses, early spring smiley blades work the best for me then I use them all summer long with blades as well. Have found the Dakota blades work well here as well as the deep cut Colorado blades. Just depends on water temp, clarity, and speed they want it trolled at to what I put on. Been trying cranks and really like the flicker shade, since they are more in my price range, still hate losing them so do not troll them in beating the bottom but heard good things about that just would rather lose harnesses and bottom bouncer that I make a lot cheaper than the cranks.

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2022, 02:10 AM »
What is the best bait for walleyes?
I don’t know what is the best bait  , trolling , with lead core or snap weights off  planer boards , bottom bouncing , casting spinners , my favorite is jigging , I find it rewarding tying up my own , and coming up with different patterns
 Just remember there are several options to catching eyes and the more methods you learn the more successful your outings maybe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.