FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maumee River  (Read 3199 times)

Jig_Head

Maumee River
« on: Mar 26, 2022, 11:54 PM »
Have any of you gone over there yet this spring?

stephen20

Re: Maumee River
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2022, 11:58 PM »
Was over there a week ago. Big cold front and high water made fishing tough. But the fish are there. Hoping to go back next week!

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2022, 05:27 AM »
My brother's son in law has been getting into fish for a couple weeks now. I hope to be heading out there in a couple weeks myself with my other brother. My brother lives in Perrysburg, so I can get real time updates. Had a ball last year. Looking forward to this year. Good luck to everyone.

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2022, 05:38 AM »
I've always wanted to go.. have never made the trip...
This year I'm hoping to hit port clinton with the boat

Jig_Head

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2022, 04:26 AM »
I've been following the daily reports from the bait shop and I see they've been getting em. Haven't been yet myself. Waiting for the water to go down a bit and warm up another degree or two

Jig_Head

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2022, 04:30 AM »
I've always wanted to go.. have never made the trip...
This year I'm hoping to hit port clinton with the boat
It's fun but be prepared to snag up a lot and deal with crowds. We've all seen crowds on the Michigan City pier when steelhead are in or shanty towns on popular lakes but this is different level crowded lol. But, I still make the drive twice a year. Once for walleye and once for white bass. I've never fished Erie but want to

fishinjohn

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2022, 05:18 AM »
It's fun but be prepared to snag up a lot and deal with crowds. We've all seen crowds on the Michigan City pier when steelhead are in or shanty towns on popular lakes but this is different level crowded lol. But, I still make the drive twice a year. Once for walleye and once for white bass. I've never fished Erie but want to
I fish erie all the time..  the eastern basin
Always wanted to go west on open water..
Fished port clinton years ago on the hardwater

tater140

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2022, 07:36 AM »
I went two saturdays ago to the Maumee.  saw plenty of fish caught around me, but for some reason it just wan't my day and I came home empty handed.   I usually get a couple of fish at least if not my limit.  It was likely still a little early in the run, but I agree with others the fish are in there.  I'm not sure if I will get a chance to visit again.  I typically get 1-2 trips in a year over there.  I have opportunities to fish the lake as well, so  there is still a chance for me to get into some fish.

chicagill34

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2022, 12:12 PM »
I tried the Maumee for the first time last spring and me and that river didn't get along too well!..lol   Maybe someday I'll try it again...I have a brand new smoker now and I want to get some spring coho's to toss in that instead.

stephen20

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2022, 04:12 PM »
Ya me and that river didn't get along the first time I went either. It was so frustrating and I thought I would never go back. That was 12 years ago and I can't wait for the run every year now.

It's harder for me to make the main part of the run these days, so I usually go early one weekend. I'm hoping to get back again this year this weekend, after my kids soccer game. We will see. I'm sure the fish are piled in right now, and fishing should be pretty stellar as soon as it warms up a bit.

stephen20

« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2022, 04:13 PM »
And by main run I mean in April. So I'm usually forced to go in March if I want a weekend. And it's usually a fun March trip, but with the weather it can be tough. No exception this year.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2022, 07:19 AM »
Haven't been there for years but back then God help ya if you accidentally foul hooked a fish or the CO's hiding in the background with binoculars said you did even if you didn't. No recourse and a kangaroo court. Is it still that way?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stephen20

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2022, 11:17 AM »
The COs are def still watching with binocs all camod out. But I've never had a problem with them. Even had a boat issue they were cool about.

I've heard the same from others, but have never had a problem, nor have any of my friends that go, and have snagged plenty of fish and released, and kept fair hooked ones.

Run a GoPro if your that worried about it! They you have proof!

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2022, 01:28 PM »
The COs are def still watching with binocs all camod out. But I've never had a problem with them. Even had a boat issue they were cool about.

I've heard the same from others, but have never had a problem, nor have any of my friends that go, and have snagged plenty of fish and released, and kept fair hooked ones.

Run a GoPro if your that worried about it! They you have proof!

Thanks for sharing and that is good to know.

Not worried about and it's been at least 25 years ago. The Co's back then are probably long since retired. 

Truthfully only went a couple of times. Combat fishing is not my thing. Heck I don't even like competitive fishing.  But as a taxidermist I've taken in some really big females from the Maumee river this time of year.

Cheers!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stephen20

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2022, 08:53 PM »
Ya I didn't mean you personally. I just meant as a general statement. With today's technology it's easy to have the proof. March usually isn't bad at all from what I've seen. But the fishing isn't usually as good either. It's just a fun and different way of fishing for me. I enjoy it, but also get it's not for everyone, and the crowds can be a pain.

I still generally try to get away from the crowds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.