FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maumee River  (Read 3198 times)

taxid

Re: Maumee River
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2022, 09:34 AM »
Ya I didn't mean you personally. I just meant as a general statement. With today's technology it's easy to have the proof. March usually isn't bad at all from what I've seen. But the fishing isn't usually as good either. It's just a fun and different way of fishing for me. I enjoy it, but also get it's not for everyone, and the crowds can be a pain.

I still generally try to get away from the crowds.

I had a guy tell me someone cast across the river and hit a big heavy set black woman in the forehead with his jig. Knocked her out cold as a cucumber.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jig_Head

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2022, 01:29 AM »
I never made it over to the Maumee for the walleye run this spring but did finally go earlier today. Got into some white bass and white perch. Brought 23 back. Here's a couple pictures (click on em, they'll be bigger)

abishop

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2022, 07:30 AM »
Help me out here. I have a question. I know there are yellow and white perch. Can't say I ever caught a white perch. Don't some call them drum? Are they as tasty as the yellows? Looks as if you had a very successful day. And the weather co-operated lol.

Jig_Head

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 01:44 AM »
This is the first I've ever caught em. I went to the river for white bass and ended up with more white perch then bass. Very similar looking to the white bass. Drum are a different species, not the same. Yellow perch are 10 times better eating then the white ones

taxid

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 04:59 AM »
This is the first I've ever caught em. I went to the river for white bass and ended up with more white perch then bass. Very similar looking to the white bass. Drum are a different species, not the same. Yellow perch are 10 times better eating then the white ones

Yep White perch (Morone Americana) and Freshwater Drum (Aplodinotus grunniens) are two different species. Then there are White Bass (Morone chrysops). All found in Lake Erie.

Was told you need to put the White bass and White perch on ice right away for them to taste good?

New Englanders love White Perch.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 05:00 AM »
I never made it over to the Maumee for the walleye run this spring but did finally go earlier today. Got into some white bass and white perch. Brought 23 back. Here's a couple pictures (click on em, they'll be bigger)

Nice catch!

abishop

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 07:45 AM »
Yep White perch (Morone Americana) and Freshwater Drum (Aplodinotus grunniens) are two different species. Then there are White Bass (Morone chrysops). All found in Lake Erie.

Was told you need to put the White bass and White perch on ice right away for them to taste good?

New Englanders love White Perch.
I will stick with the lobster. Can remember in the 80's they sold for 1.99 a pound. Cheaper than hamburger. I do miss all the fresh fish that came in from the Atlantic. Don't get me started Cecil. Can't say I ever seen a fish market that sold fresh water fish. ALL SALT.

taxid

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2022, 10:51 AM »
I will stick with the lobster. Can remember in the 80's they sold for 1.99 a pound. Cheaper than hamburger. I do miss all the fresh fish that came in from the Atlantic. Don't get me started Cecil. Can't say I ever seen a fish market that sold fresh water fish. ALL SALT.

I hear ya. When even McDonalds out there sells lobster rolls...

fishinjohn

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2022, 11:34 AM »

I've taken a white bass or 2 over the years because I have buddies who LOVE EM!!!!!
last year my boy and i hammered the white perch on chatauqua one weekend he said he just wanted to CATCH FISH...
And DIDNT CARE about the night crawler population in our cooler...
filleted a couple up... THEY WERE "OK"
i would put them in same category as the white bass...."ok" to eat if I'm desperate for a fish fry...
But I'd rather clean 50 9" perch for that meal thank 10 white perch

taxid

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2022, 12:48 PM »
Well Lake Erie is the drain for much of the Great Lakes. Lots of farm run off too.

rivereddy

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2022, 04:46 PM »
Probably the best food item i've ever had at a McDonalds was a lobster roll. It was back in the 90s
and cost like $3.95.  They never made it to Indiana.

fish on,

riveeddy

Piggyn

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2022, 07:50 PM »
Can't say I ever seen a fish market that sold fresh water fish. ALL SALT.

I've seen yellow perch, rainbow trout, walleye, channel catfish, and even (but very rarely) bluegill at Meijer and/or Kroger.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

abishop

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2022, 09:52 PM »
I've seen yellow perch, rainbow trout, walleye, channel catfish, and even (but very rarely) bluegill at Meijer and/or Kroger.
I was referring to Massachusetts. Not here locally.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.