FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Here’s One For You  (Read 1315 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Here’s One For You
« on: Jul 30, 2022, 11:31 AM »
If two cars are passing each other at 55 mph, is their combined speed at the point of intersection 110 mph.

( I was thinking about this this morning as  I was going fishing)
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinator

Re: Here’s One For You
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2022, 12:47 PM »
Why wouldn't it be? What you smokin on?

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2022, 02:36 PM »
N
If you are refering to them crashing head on, then no.
It's an E=MCsquared thing Bob.

Basically, if both cars are the same size and weight, it's like a car hitting an imoveable object (like a mountain).
However, since we are speaking about cars here, they would both colapse upon impact, absorbing some of the energy.
So there's tons of other variables involved.

Hence the crash tests the insurance companies have been doing since forever.
Almost impossible to "calculate" what happens in a crash.

Data!!!!

However, if you are saying they will pass each other, then the Delta S (speed) would indeed be 110 mph.
But only in relationship to each other, which is not typical.
Speed is typically measured in relationship to the ground, which is stationary.

Hope that helps.

jperch

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2022, 03:40 PM »
I think you are talking about the situation where two cars impact each other head on.  When thinking about velocity in these situations you have to think about "frame of reference".  From the point of view of one of the drivers, the other driver is approaching at 110 mph.  If one driver is traveling at 55mph (according to the speedometer) and is rear ended by another driver going 75 mph(according to the speedometer) then from the drivers perspective the impact occurs at (75-55) = 20 mph.

There are videos online where a device propels a tennis ball at say 20 mph.  A pickup truck goes 20 mph while a guy fires the device out the back of the truck, straight behind the truck as the truck passes through an intersection.  From a camera on the ground, the ball just bounces straight up and down.  From the perspective of the guy who fired the ball the ball is moving at 20 mph.  Welcome to Einstein's world!

fishinator

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2022, 05:53 PM »
The question was what is the combined speed. 55+55=110

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2022, 08:40 PM »
This is the smart butt in me, at the point of intersection at the time they are passing would be zero at that moment in time as the forces from each vehicle would counter act each other and be stationary for that split second. So the wind forces hitting each other would it stop each other, just the thoughts rolling through my head as I read each very thought out answer and just gets my brain thinking of all the possibilities.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2022, 10:24 AM »
So…my question was…

If two cars are passing each other at 55 mph, is their combined speed at the point of intersection ( meaning when they actually pass each other)110 mph.

It’s a trick question I think. But a simple answer.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2022, 12:48 PM »
Relative Speed.

“Relative” means “in comparison to”. Thus, the relative speed is used when two or more bodies moving with some speed are considered. To make things simpler, one body can be made stationary (i.e. Speed =zero) and take the speed of the other body with respect to the stationary body, which is the sum of the speed if the bodies are moving in the opposite direction and the difference if they are moving in the same direction. This speed of the moving body with respect to the stationary body is called the relative Speed.

So the answer to your question Bob, is “yes”, 110 mph.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2022, 02:06 PM »
You are correct! All velocity is relative.

The relative velocity of two cars traveling towards each other at 55 mph would be 110 mph.

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2022, 02:54 PM »

All velocity is relative.

2nd last para of my first post

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.