FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fabulous Koontz Lake... a bit disappointing...  (Read 1142 times)

LundProv

Fabulous Koontz Lake... a bit disappointing...
« on: Aug 16, 2022, 03:28 PM »
Good afternoon friends... I have shared with you the joy I have when taking my 95 yo friend to Koontz lake.  This is a lake he grew up on and he gets so fired up when we go that I really cannot tell if he is 5 or 95 unless I look directly at him.  So, we made arrangements to go today and I got over there to pick him up after dropping the grandkids off at school.  He was standing at the curb by his home, two fishing poles in hand and a bucket of gear -- totally excited -- as if he was a school kid waiting for the school bus.  What a joy...  Good conversation on the one hour drive east and as we approach the launch, we notice construction equipment stationed around the launch.  The launch is blocked and there is a sign that states the launch is closed as of July 11 and will be closed for 3 weeks for dredging.  This was now 9ish in the morning and not a work crew was in sight with no evidence of trucks or any work activity of anykind.  Needless to say, we were disappointed.  We decided to drive to the old Stanley marina launch to see if that was possibly open but it was not.  So, we did not know of any other access to Koontz lake and tried to decide on Plan B.  I was torn between Culver and Upper Fish Lake as my friend enjoys panfish.  We drove up to Upper Fish Lake.  After launching, we headed to the north shore area and trolled at 1.1 mph with small jigs in 8-10' of water.  Crappie, Redears, Perch and Bluegills were cooperative and between the two of us, we estimated we caught about 25 in 2 hours of fishing.  No monsters but nice, healthy panfish and the redears hit like a mack truck.  We had a nice conversation on the water with a retired couple who were using slip bobbers/worms and catching their share of gills.  So, even though we did not get to fish Koontz, we had a good, productive couple of hours of fellowship and fishing upper fish lake.  My friend knows, I don't clean fish on Tuesdays (or whenever he and I go fishing as he treats every catch as if it is a T bone as long as it is big enough to keep) and he seemed content with our day together.  Again, we were disappointed that our illustrious DNR has decided to close the ramp this time of year for 3 weeks (?) to dredge and then apparently, at least today, decided to take the day off.  The three week estimate must be government calender and not private business/construction calender but hopefully when done, the channel will be better than ever.

abishop

Re: Fabulous Koontz Lake... a bit disappointing...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2022, 03:51 PM »
Sorry for your disappointment. Man, I just love it when a plan comes together. Better luck next time. At least you managed to salvage the day.

Teacherpreacher

Re: Fabulous Koontz Lake... a bit disappointing...
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2022, 07:50 AM »
I'd say you made a good thing out of a disappointing situation. Sounds to me you did quite well! I give you an A+ for taking your friend out and giving him happy days! I'm sure he loves every minute of it!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.