MFF US Northeast > Maine

pontoon boat downrigger fishing

(1/2) > >>

metal man:
I have been unable to fish this summer due to surgery to install some more metal parts. My wife convinced me to purchase a used pontoon boat since I could get on and off that. Looking ahead to next summer I need to decide what to do with it. Sell or rebuild and repower and install downriggers for togue fishing.

Does anyone have any experience with trolling and downrigging from a pontoon? If so, how was it setup? I am thinking of removing the back bench seat and mounting the downriggers at the stern. Probably repowering with a 30 - 40 hp 4 stroke. Hope to not need a kicker motor to run 1.5 to 2.5 mph trolling speed.

Any ideas?

Mac Attack:
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/1287163008691490/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

Johnnh:
Metal Man
Welcome to the board

You may want to look in You Tube. There are lots of ptions to consider.

zwiggles:
Granted they tend to be a “fair weather boat”, but you can set them up extremely well to troll. A guy in NH years ago had a sweet set up in Squam lake. I believe they reinforced the rails, and mounted down riggers out back, and a planer mast/board set up on the front. They were very very successful using the boat, but it does take some customization.

Mac Attack:
Not sure about fair weather boats.
I've seen tritoons out on Erie in 2-3's with a lot more frequency in the past few years.
If they can handle the Great Lakes I'm sure they would be fine for the smaller lakes in Maine.
Just gotta be smart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version