MyFishFinder By Species > Bullhead

Bullhead Catching

(1/6) > >>

reelcharacter:
OK, we asked for Bullhead, now we gots' it!!!
(Thanks Scott).  ;D

What are your favorite Bullhead baits, recipes for bait?
What fishing rigs do you use?
Do you prefer to fish by night or by day?
Where do you fish for them?
What tips do you have for catching Bullheads?
-lantern tips, attracting fish, rod holders you use . . .

Inquiring minds want to know?! Lets hear from you guys (and ladies).

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter

seaweed01:
I use a 1/0 or 2/0 extra long shank snelled hook. Thread a nightcrawler all the way up the shank of the hook leaving just a small piece or tail off the end. I found out that it works better than hooking and balling the crawler on the hook.  When they take it, you hardly ever miss them.
Also when the bluegills start to bother your bait, take one, scale it and then fillet it and use pieces the size of a nickel or quarter and when you have a hit, 99% of the time its a bullhead and the bluegills will usually leave it alone. (I did catch a 17lb musky on the bluegill piece - what a suprise.) A piece of smelly shrimp works well also.
I just use the standard bottom rig, sinker on bottom, two hooks up line.
I fish for them anytime. I have a couple of ponds that they bite good in the daytime, so fish for them mostly then.
Whenever I'm fishing for bullheads and the bites slows, I start cleaning some, this saves a lot of work when you get home. I usuall only eat a meal or two and give all the rest away. I just like to catch them.

howey1176:
My favorite hook size would have to be a 4 for bullys. I use the same rig as seaweed. Normally I fish at night for them but if I hear they are biting somewhere during the day, I'm there. I concentrate most of my bully fishing around north Wolcott and Fair Haven area. There are so many places I fish for them but that is were I do most. Inlets ( no matter what the size) are a hot spot. I normally use two Coleman white gas lanterns with foil wrapped around half of the globe so I don't get blinded. I used to use bells on the end of my rods but now I paint them bright yellow.

One tip is try to hook the fish quick otherwise you will end up with raw fingers by the end of the night, and bring a pair of needlenose, you will need them. Bullys like to swallow the bait fast.

Leeches I think are the best bait. Otherwise I will take some worms and let them sit out and get a little smeely and use them. They work better that way. Sometimes I will also use smelly chicken livers tied in egg sac bags. yum yum

gunner1:
I recently purchased a bunch of SNELLED Eagle Claw circle hooks from Dick's Sporting Goods and I really think that these will be great for bullheadin' this spring. Those suckers DO swallow the hook fast and now I have an effective means of reducing that.

mike692:
My favorite hook for cat fishing is a 2 or 4 hook with a long shank. Makes it easier to get ahold of with the pliers.
I have good success with small shiners, night crawlers, and fresh chicken liver.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version