FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Biological Proof Barbless Hooks Make No Difference  (Read 6134 times)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: Biological Proof Barbless Hooks Make No Difference
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2006, 08:24 PM »
I have to agree with the majority here. Though I personally haven't used much barbless hooks, due to the fact most store bought lures have barbed hooks, it is common sense. I have had countless fish bleed from barbed hooks that a doubt would have with barbless. Barbed hooks were made to catch on to the skin keeping the hook from coming out. You have to have a hole in the fishes mouth large enough to get the barb out which is about twice the size of a non barbed hook.  I take all my fish out of the water, carefully remove the hook, measure the fish, and release the fish with as little handling as possible.  Though this does create a higher risk of harming the fish I always make sure that fish is alive and well before leaving the fish. A barbed hook will do more damage, but rarely will the damage result in a dead fish if the fisherman is responsible.

The barbs can be mashed down with a pair of pliers on hooks that have them, anytime I use mepps or martins and the like I do this because its really hard for the fish to shake those trebles off unless of course you only get one hook in them the other plus is the treble comes out with no problem what so ever.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

esox slayer

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Here is a study showing that bait fished actively has a low mortality and that barbless hooks do not have a significant difference in mortality than barbed hooks.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/science/inventory/TroutHooking.pdf

If thats not enough for you, do a google on barbless hooks and you will find countless studies by real scientists showing the same.

Is this the same mackdaddy21, related to the same TFB that has the exceptional monster fish out there in Colorado but the worst department of wildlife going??  I know you two have played with this thread before on here..aren't you sick of it??  Give it a rest.......Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

keva

« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2006, 08:21 AM »
Wow, kind fo dumb of me not to think of that. Well, I will give that a try.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #18 on: Apr 18, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Here is a study showing that bait fished actively has a low mortality and that barbless hooks do not have a significant difference in mortality than barbed hooks.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/science/inventory/TroutHooking.pdf

If thats not enough for you, do a google on barbless hooks and you will find countless studies by real scientists showing the same.

Is this the same mackdaddy21, related to the same TFB that has the exceptional monster fish out there in Colorado but the worst department of wildlife going??  I know you two have played with this thread before on here..aren't you sick of it??  Give it a rest.......Esox
LOL

I don't think thaey are on the site anymore you can't click on their names and it also appears in a different color. It is true though they went back and forth numerous times it was kinda of ammusing,, at times.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.