FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: slip bobber  (Read 12426 times)

beerduck

slip bobber
« on: Mar 21, 2004, 07:53 AM »
 anyone ever try slip bobbers after the spawn into late summer? i always mark fish suspended in 10 to  30 feet of water through mid hot summer day. i was just wondering if useing a slip bobber at the depths im marking fish will work. most of the time im out in the middle of know where and mark these fish.im gonna try useing minnies under a slip bobber this year

crappieloo

Re: slip bobber
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2004, 08:36 AM »
I use a slip when i cant get on the water(wading or shore). Its not necessary from a boat because i jig them straight down off the side of the boat with a short rod. Kinda like icefishing.

sparkie

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2004, 05:11 PM »
That's all that I use.  Unless the fish are extremely shallow, a slip bobber is the way to go, personal opionion.  Where I fish the crappies will be in 20-25 foot of water in July, usually tucked  inside a brush piles.  It's easier to set the stop so that the bait is  foot above the brush and fish away with a minimal of hang ups.

They are great when you are fishing a hump and the fish are spooky.  Anchor on the side of the hump and you can fish alot of the hump with out moving, cast out and let the wind move your bait across the hump.  While I do enjoy fishing a jig, a slip bobber does have it's place.  Just another tool to catch fish with.

lilwill19

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2004, 08:40 AM »
I have found that slip bobbers work pretty good.  I like to use them over deep trees.  I like to find what depth the fish are and set my slip bobber to that depth.  Its great to keep the line from getting into the branches.
Fish On!!!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2004, 05:43 PM »
A slip bobber is one of the best ways to present bait to any fish. It is my number one presentation for crappies. Just adjust the stop until you find the depth the crappies are holding at. In the spring it will be shallow near brush and trees, in summer and winter it will be in open water adjacent to structure. Having a sonar to find schools of crappie helps shorten the search.
Small minnows under a slip bobber are the best, but small tube jigs tipped with a sliver of crawler work nearly as good, and ocasionally better.

Tyler

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2004, 11:19 PM »
I have never tried slip bobber fishing (at least correctly) before. Am looking forward to developing some experience in the art of presenting the bait this way.

Now, is some good weather here in Central NY too much to ask for?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2004, 11:08 PM »
So how do you rig up your slip-bobbers? I have read about small pieces of rubber band tied to the line. Have also seen a tutorial on-line for tieing string or mono around a small dowel then removing the dowel and tightening up the "knot", creating a thickened half moon shape on the line. I assume a small bead slips up to catch the knot, that in turn catches the bobber?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Somers

« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2004, 10:35 AM »
Correct reel. 

I prefer the tie on type as opposed to the rubber (Eagle Claw) stops.  I find they are easier to adjust without risking them moving on their own through normal use.  I also fnd the rubber types to catch the line more frequently causing short casts and more troublesome, lost minnows, esp when dorsal hooked.

I love slip bobbers and have used them for years.  I too use them for everything from walleye to trout to bass to panfish.  In fact I've had good luck fluking with them too.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2004, 11:50 AM »
I still don't have a clue what they are. How do they work, what purpose do they serve, could you possibly post a pic?

Any info would be great,
Thanks
howey
Harold

Cider

« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2004, 03:49 PM »
Hey slipbob, nice pics!  I am very familiar with a slip bobber, but have never used them.  Where do you get them?  I have never noticed them in Wallyworld or KMart before.  Do they carry them?  Thanks.

reubenpa

« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I ahve seen them at wallyworld and have bought a couple, but could never figure them out...

What do you use for a stop slipbob?  Thanks for the pics
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

crappieloo

« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2004, 05:12 PM »
OK, the one i started out using (for icefishing) was extremely cool 8) It was a small bobber that came with a needle to thread your line through the bobber. NO STOPS.
This worked excellent and i all ways got weird looks from guys when fighting fish and reeling them up with my micro rod. This set up has to be used with a finder to put the bait back down to the same spot because you have to ''pull'' the line through the bobber to get it back down. The only practical way for this to work in open water is jigging off of the side of a boat with a flasher. Also i had to use this method for finnicky fish, with a rod that had very small eyes on it.
crappieloo

Somers

« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2004, 06:55 PM »
crappieloo,

So the bobber you're talking about is essentially just a bobber w/ a tremendous length beneath the float right?  It just slides through the float as you retrieve on the way up.  When you set it, how does it remain stationary and aid in bite detection?  Just curious, I'm not understanding the explanation I guess.

slipbob,  Why do you prefer the rubber stops if you don't mind my asking? 

I'm the exact opposite when it comes to them.  I find they slip quite a bit after they're wet, esp. when they enter the top guide.  But my biggest gripe is the line catching on them when I cast.    When I use the ties, IMO they lay flatter on the line and are much sturdier when moved up and down the line to adjust depth.

For shallow water application (I usually stick w/ 8' and less) a blood or uni knot can be used as the stop as well.  Works well for lighter/heavier leaders.

crappieloo

« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2004, 07:58 PM »
Somers, its just a small foam bobber and looks just like any other bobber except there is no ''hole'' through it. Thats what the needle is for. You have to thread the line through the bobber because theres resistence in the rubber insert through the center of it. After its threaded through you can tie you jig and hold the bobber while pullinging down on the jig to drop it down. It wont work for a casting situation unless your only going to fish 2 or 3 feet down(Too hard to cast with a lot of line out), but where it shines is reeling it back up. When reeling it up the bobber comes up to the rod tip and the line slips right through while reeling or fighting a fish . I have used this bobber setup vertial fishing with the jig 15 to 20 feet below the bobber and it works great.
I should have said ''vertical jigging'' before instead of ice fishing or off the side of a boat, because it works off of docks,bridges and walls also.
Hope you arnt confused
crappieloo

Somers

« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2004, 08:41 AM »
crappieloo, I got it now.  I have the same types, but mine have a hole in the center of the foam and a toothpick piece to fasten it at the desired depth.

Slipbob, thanks for the explanation.  I guess given the choice I'd stick w/ the tie on types.  I'm mostly using them for trout this time of year, and the heavier minnows cause the srubber stops to slip when I retrieve.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.