FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Got the pedal kayak all ready for the vacation  (Read 2102 times)

taxid

Got the pedal kayak all ready for the vacation
« on: Jun 14, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Well, that is, except the anchor system which I may have to play with on vacation.

Here's the cart I put together thanks to a U-tube video: (Don't like the color of the pool noodle I used but that was the only color in the size I needed to slide over 1 inch PVC

A rack I built also thanks to U-tube but I will add four more vertical supports later. Kind of creaky and scary as is. (1.5 inch PVC).

There is an internal place for the transducer and I swapped out my Helix 7 off my big boat, which I can easily move back as I have a transducer on both boats. The sealed battery mounts to a post inside the boat. Mini-downrigger and rod holder like the fish finder are attached to a Scotty base that mounts to the boat with four bolts. I used a piece of starboard plastic to reinforce the mounts on the inside.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

boondox

Re: Got the pedal kayak all ready for the vacation
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2018, 01:25 AM »
Did you see the plano crate systems for kayakers they came out with?? Seen them in the bass pro add?  looks intresting for bolth bass and other types of fishing.. might be worth taking a look at it..

Also about anchors get a retractable dog leash like a 25 or 50 foot long attach a anchor weight..  for anchoring to that for farm ponds to medium sized lakes .. we used coffe cans like a 2  pound can filled with cement and a piece of rebar formed in a loop to hook the leash too.. if fishing rivers with current use a section of chain like 10 to 15 foot long to drag bottom behind you..  to slow your drift a tad..  so you can cast to fish.. like 3/16 link thickness..

By the way looks awesome none the less.. I have been sticking to a canoe when I go out solo on smaller lakes..

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2018, 07:28 AM »
Did you see the plano crate systems for kayakers they came out with?? Seen them in the bass pro add?  looks intresting for bolth bass and other types of fishing.. might be worth taking a look at it..

Also about anchors get a retractable dog leash like a 25 or 50 foot long attach a anchor weight..  for anchoring to that for farm ponds to medium sized lakes .. we used coffe cans like a 2  pound can filled with cement and a piece of rebar formed in a loop to hook the leash too.. if fishing rivers with current use a section of chain like 10 to 15 foot long to drag bottom behind you..  to slow your drift a tad..  so you can cast to fish.. like 3/16 link thickness..

By the way looks awesome none the less.. I have been sticking to a canoe when I go out solo on smaller lakes..

No I haven't seen it but the hatch has a build in small tackle tray.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MattyP123

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2018, 05:24 AM »
nice rig

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2018, 05:42 PM »
No I haven't seen it but the hatch has a build in small tackle tray.

This is the model I like the soft crate

http://www.planomolding.com/soft-crate

This is another version they came out with..
The v crate why I don't know??

http://www.planomolding.com/v-crate

Like every one esle is saying nice rig!!

tomturkey

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2018, 07:11 AM »
When I used to canoe fish a lot I used old sash weights for anchors in the stream I usually fished. I had various sizes.  I bought a bunch of huge ones to use for marker buoy anchors at a salvage yard a few years ago. They were so big I cut them in half and got two anchors out of one. I paid scrap prices for them.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2018, 09:50 PM »
looks like a great setup :clapping:

Thanks! Did learn something today.The cart I built has trouble with all the gear in the kayak. Just too much weight. I had to pull it about 600 yds. down a lake road as I won't be allowed to drive down to the lake for another week. The unglued parts twisted apart at least once. However when I took everything out of the kayak it was OK.

I also will leave the paddle in the car in the future. I like the mirage drive so much I find storing the paddle on the side of the kayak a PITA. I know I know you should have a back up but...

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2018, 09:59 PM »
When I used to canoe fish a lot I used old sash weights for anchors in the stream I usually fished. I had various sizes.  I bought a bunch of huge ones to use for marker buoy anchors at a salvage yard a few years ago. They were so big I cut them in half and got two anchors out of one. I paid scrap prices for them.

I did end up rigging a sash weight for an anchor for one end of the kayak. The excess rope goes into the hatch and within arm's reach I attached a cleat. Then an eyelet and another one at the end of the bow. Really secure with all stainless steel fittings, bolts and fender washers complete with a piece of starboard plastic on the inside. There actually a recess on the kayak to store the sash weight. And of course lock nuts.

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2018, 11:13 PM »
Do you got skuper holes on the kayak??

I seen there is a home made one for scupper hole boats but not sure if your would have it??   The scupper version is a board with wheels and two blots that incert into scupper  holes of boat then it straps down to board.. if you want a picture just ask I can find one..

I ended out with one of these I bought for 29.99 at cabelas when they had a grand opening in grandville michigan.. any how link below to the one I got..  it works awesome with the canoe a 16 footer and gear in it..  it's the aluminum one so it does not weight down the canoe to much while paddling with it..

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-KAYAK-CANOE-CART/1947990.uts?productVariantId=4058455&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04068522&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CjwKCAjwjZjZBRAZEiwAPeLSK80nYDhKBAxEKk3pWyT5rvGcql4Rh0YQezMMgWUwjwSyIe1lnV5WBRoClJkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also look in to some stabilizers/outriggers made from crab pot floats 4 of them the bullet shaped ones.. always better to build a $500 item then to buy when most of it is pvc any how..

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I do have the scupper holes that can be used to insert a kayak carrier. Forgot all about that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.