FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Using fish as garden fertilizer  (Read 6153 times)

TroutCrazy

Using fish as garden fertilizer
« on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:33 PM »
It's time to think about gardening, too!  I hate the idea of buying fertilizer, when I throw away so many fish carcasses.   There's a lot of conflicting information on the internet about using fish as fertilizer.  I live in Burlington, so I can't have a big stinky situation.

Some people on the internet say you have to make fish emulsion or some other fermented goo (not an option in Burlington).  Others say to bury the fish 1.5 or 2 feet deep, but honestly I'm not sure I trust what I'm reading.

Does anyone bury fish directly in their garden? 
How do you do it? 
Does it cause any problems?

ran7ger

Re: Using fish as garden fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2018, 08:08 PM »
my grandpa did it with pike carcasses.  he lived in a small town on a big lot but i don't recall any smell just the odd curious cat. 

amazing garden, that's for sure.
got a fish on the line and my boat on the water
and it's gettin' near time to take the cows to the slaughter

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2018, 08:59 PM »
a dog that is determined will dig up fish carcasses if given the time. the only one that will smell a fish carcass buried 18"s underground would be a hungry mutt or scavenger. fish emulsion sounds like something my yellow lab wouldve loved to roll in
done dirt cheap!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Not only dogs, but skunks and opossums will dig them up too.     :-\
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

VT Mountain Musky

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2018, 07:56 AM »
i bury some fish carcasses in the garden every year, right now or late fall is the best time to bury them, curious critters will sometimes investigate if you dont bury them that deep but i have had pretty great luck with it every year, i like to use smaller fish when possible,  and definitely use all the guts you can

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Yes, I bury both freshwater and saltwater species in my garden ALL the time. I can tell you that i never have issues with critters as well as a stench. I bury them about 2 feet under where the till cannot get to them. The key is packing them tight with dirt so your not left with a huge air pocket. My garden is amazing to say the least! I had 16' tall sunflowers last year and they were so big they bent half that distance back to the ground, yet the tallest point was 16'! I will find the picture and post it. I also fillet my fish near my berry plants so that all the juices from washing down go into the plants. 
Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2018, 12:06 PM »
If you bury them below the “till”, and plant roots, what benefit can they actually be as fertilizer.

Nomis

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2018, 12:15 PM »
When my dad was younger, they used to bury a little brook trout under each corn kernel in the garden.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2018, 01:57 PM »
If you bury them below the “till”, and plant roots, what benefit can they actually be as fertilizer.

You ever see worms at work? They do the work for me and bring it back up from the depth. The fish does not just sink deeper into the earth, quite opposite actually. And this way I avoid critters and a terrible smell.

Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2018, 02:12 PM »
You ever see worms at work? They do the work for me and bring it back up from the depth. The fish does not just sink deeper into the earth, quite opposite actually. And this way I avoid critters and a terrible smell.

Worms, bugs, moles, chipmunks, bacteria, microorganisms  etc. you’re right on in your thought process.

Some plants even have a symbiotic relationship with fungi that grow on their roots, and will attain needed chemicals for them from the surrounding soil.

Kind of off topic, but I found some Indian pipe “flowers” in the forest behind my house, and was amazed to learn they don’t posses any chlorophyll, and are basically a plant parasite. Cool read if you look them up.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Be careful giving tips on this. The last folks that said burying fish in your garden helped the plants grow had a bounty on their heads within 30 years!  ::)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2018, 02:58 PM »

Excellent point.
Never thought of this.
Thanks.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Worms, bugs, moles, chipmunks, bacteria, microorganisms  etc. you’re right on in your thought process.

Some plants even have a symbiotic relationship with fungi that grow on their roots, and will attain needed chemicals for them from the surrounding soil.

Kind of off topic, but I found some Indian pipe “flowers” in the forest behind my house, and was amazed to learn they don’t posses any chlorophyll, and are basically a plant parasite. Cool read if you look them up.

Thanks zwiggles. My parents are from the old country (Poland) and taught me a few things that the "locals" might not know. Funny thing is I am a "local" since I was born in the good ol' US of A so don't take it the wrong way lol.

And since you are off topic on Fungi, My folks are also avid mushroom hunters. Poland is full of Chanterells as well as King Boletes and many other Boletes. I took their knowledge and with some homework I now pick over 30 different edibles in my region. As far as the Indian Pipe Flowers, its almost that time for them to be popping out of the ground. pretty neat looking arent they?
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Be careful giving tips on this. The last folks that said burying fish in your garden helped the plants grow had a bounty on their heads within 30 years!  ::)

LOL - no worries, I also practice my second amendment weekly. Aim small, miss small.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2018, 03:49 PM »

Excellent point.
Never thought of this.
Thanks.

Anytime.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor