FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bank or Boat?  (Read 7822 times)

slipbob

Bank or Boat?
« on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:50 AM »
If given the choice do you like terra firma or floata boata?  I have been thinking about buying a boat this year but keep delaying the decision because I fish one place in particular that allows no boats and has great fishing but it's icefishing or shore only in open water.  When I was young it seems I spent half my life in a boat with my dad or on his friends boat who was a charter captain on lake ontario so I have had my time in boats but now I find something satisfying about bank fishing but I also like to boat fish with family that has boats or on friends boats once in a while.  Shore fishing is easy for me because the place I go is about 20 minutes away and it's so easy I just bring my backpack which holds everything and there is no trailer to deal with,  no launch, no gas for the motor, no marina, no noise,  just your feet on the ground and an uncomplicated setup and of course I know there are some diehard boat guys here but if you had your pick of good fishing meaning you could catch plenty from shore or a boat what would you prefer? 

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
Re: Bank or Boat?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:58 AM »
i prefer both myself... depends on the situation. but there has been many times for me, that while sitting on shore i have said to myself..." should have brought the boat"  they are nice to have but you can still fish a ton without them too... and with gas the way its going, feet are much cheaper unless your pockets have an unlimited ATM inside them...lol

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:07 AM »
Depends.  Salmon, lakers are from a boat.  Some trout ponds are from a canoe.  I don't really fish from shore unless I am bullheadin' (hornpountin' to the new englanders).  Most of my fishing is right in the middle though.  I like to wade with my flyrod!

wyogator

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2004, 01:09 PM »
 I'd rather wade a river with a flyrod for trout. However, being that that isn't the only fishing I do, I prefer both, depending on the situation. I have had boats in the past for flats and bass fishing in FL. My flats/bass boat is currently at my parents house in FL, which my dad uses every day. He says the boat needs to be ran periodically...LOL....JK actually he owns half of the boat, so he has every right. Currently, I use a canoe or float tube on lakes, sometimes, I use the bank, if I am fishing the walleye spawn for instance, right off the dam.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2004, 01:18 PM »
Boat preferably.
Harold

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2004, 01:29 PM »
mostly from a boat but once in awhile from a dock or the shoreline.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2004, 01:33 PM »
But......if you had a boat wouldn't it force you to fish more and try different places with different types of fishing?
I have a boat and fish from shore often as well.........nice to be able to take the boat out to fish places and spots I can't access from shore.

Polar

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2004, 02:22 PM »
I like fishing from the boat,but sometimes fishing off the bank is the place to be.

raleigh

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2004, 03:04 PM »
It all depends what I am fishing for. I usely fish the shore if I am just fishing for stocker trout,cats or bass. But for bigger trout like splake I like to use my personal pontoon boat (which I just bought this spring). You can cover a lot more water with a boat that you can not get to from shore.

Cider

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2004, 03:20 PM »
Hey raleigh, how is that boat working out for you?  I really want one, but can't afford it this year.  I am looking at the Water Skeeter line of pontoons when I finally do get around to purchasing one...

reubenpa

« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2004, 03:51 PM »
shore , but want a boat BAD
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

wyogator

« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2004, 03:53 PM »
Hey Cider. Sometimes you can find those personal pontoon boats for pretty cheap at Sierra Trading Post. Go to www.sierratradingpost.com

Bartman44

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2004, 08:12 PM »
Bank, boat, canoe, jetty, wade, ice - it's all good.

raleigh

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2004, 09:31 PM »
Cider, it is working out great. An is realy not that hard to row. I have been able to cover a lot more water with it. I went out and bought two Caddis rod holders for it so I am able troll the lakes as well. With just the paddles I can get going fast enough to troll. But I think my next step for it will be a little trolling motor. I think it is well worth the money Cider. The only draw back I can see with it is that it is hard to control when the wind starts getting high. Here is a web sity you can go to to check some pontoon boats out.

http://www.ezflyfish.com/outponboat.html

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:48 PM »
Past years the venue has been from shore. Have a canoe and hope to get it out more this year. So for now, I have to go with shore. Next year, perhaps another different answer . . .

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.