FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Looking for boats can make a guy go crazy!  (Read 4001 times)

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
Looking for boats can make a guy go crazy!
« on: Jun 06, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Well without help and previously without funds I couldn't get my Grandpa's boat running. I think it was a 1994...maybe 96 sea ray. My grandma decided to sell it because it wasn't getting used (don't blame her)...but now I've been looking at boats on KSL almost daily. Just can't decide if I wanna get a solid fishing boat with just a nice trolling motor, fish finder, and a few little perks for about $1,000 or if I wanna save up and get a half decent boat with a big outboard, trolling motor, and a few more nice luxery's for about $2,000. Any suggestions :D
Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

Rodrunner

Re: Looking for boats can make a guy go crazy!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2011, 12:13 AM »
Uhh..Good luck with that $2000..lol ..I'd save up and buy the best used boat you can afford. Lots a folks hurt'n now..Boats are going for cheap.

jopes

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2011, 12:17 AM »
not saying you can't get a good deal in that price range.   But what ever it is be sure there is no rotting of any of the wood in the boat, soft spots in the floors, transom is a big one.  Then obviously it should run if you plan on going fishing.  :)   I would also ask to take it out on a lake and drive it to be sure it handles ok and the engine runs correctly.  

you can spend alot of money in no time in a boat that may take months to hit the water.

if your buying a fiberglass boat be sure there is no hull damage, cracks or spider webbing.

if your going with a aluminum be sure there is no cracks, and be sure to check to see if it takes on water after being out on the lake for a while, this could be from a crack or loose rivits.  

er-e-is

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Knowing where you live and that you will be fishing the Gorge, I would suggest getting a boat and motor that can handle the wind. I fished the Gorge for years in a 14' alum. w/20 HP. I sat many hours on the wrong side of the lake waiting for the wind to die. With that being said, I also fished many days in that boat and had lots of fun. Common sense and learning to learn to read the "W" is important. A good, solid, medium sized fishing boat/motor is what I suggest. Big outboards use lots of gas....$$$

jopes

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:03 AM »
Big motors usually only use a lot of fuel @ WOT.  If you keep them in their sweet spot for cruising you can do fairly well on fuel.

But then again it is a boat, your not commuting to work every day in it.   :)

WYeyes

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Big motors usually only use a lot of fuel @ WOT.  If you keep them in their sweet spot for cruising you can do fairly well on fuel.

But then again it is a boat, your not commuting to work every day in it.   :)

I'll second that. Have a 225 on my boat, if I run it at 30-40 mph it does fairly well on gas consumption, if I run it at 50 it drinks the gas down.

I think I would save my money and try to get at least a 16' or bigger boat(preferably bigger) for fishing the Gorge. It can get rough down there in a hurry, and safety should always be a factor. As was said already, with times the way they are there should be some good buys around on medium size boats. But $2000 sounds a little to hopeful to me to get something that does not need a ton of work done on it.

Monarch8x8

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Remember this Trent.  An outboard will run about $100.00 per horse.  For $2000.00 you will be looking at about a 20 hp motor without the boat.  So for $2000.00 you are looking at a shady boat and/or motor, unless of course someone needs $ pretty bad or doesn't know what they have.  For reference, I paid $1300.00 for a new 8hp merc kicker.  Look at spending at least 5k for a boat you can use reliably for years.  And like has already been said,  steer completely clear of mushy transoms and floors in the rear.

POk3s

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2011, 06:30 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes I definitely don't want to inherit anyone elses problems. Me and my buddy fish on his all the time but I would just like my own. Nothing fancy and probably not anything new, but just wanna be on the water whenever I want instead of whenever my buddy is free.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Deals ARE out there to be had. About 5 years back I bought a mint mid 90's 6 horse for $200.00. Sat there for 3 months then noticed he lowerd the price and better yet, I offered cash and he lowered it even more. Just keep an eye out and you WILL find what you are looking for. Good Luck!!!

POk3s

« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Thank you. Seems like a lot of good deals on KSL...People in Utah must be hurtin for money. Almost everything says "need money worse then I need a boat" or something along those lines....i just don't have the money yet!

venisonman

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Thank you. Seems like a lot of good deals on KSL...People in Utah must be hurtin for money. Almost everything says "need money worse then I need a boat" or something along those lines....i just don't have the money yet!

Go slow. Take your time. Lot's of scams and damaged goods out there. Take your time and don't settle. Decide exactly what you want and how much ahead of time. I drove myself crazy saying no, no and no.

Then I found an old 16' deep vee aluminum starcraft, duck blind, fairly new 10h.p. motor,  and a 2 yr old trailer for $1500. The boat itself needed an acceptable amount of work. This boat is exactly what I was looking for. I looked for a year. It fits all my needs from ice out to ice over!
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

TN

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2011, 11:39 AM »
POk3s - you said your Grandma decided to sell your Gramp's boat but not whether she actually sold it.  Sea Ray, by name, is a good boat.  If you know what it needs/needed, and you know the  boat, you have a known quantity, which can be better than buying someone else's that could hold bad surprises.  Best prices may be found at the end of a season.  If you are looking for a simple, small, fishing boat with a deep V suitable for Wyoming water and wind, consider supply-and-demand and look toward Minnesota.  Good Luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.