FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 342962 times)

CAPTJJ

Re: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #2745 on: Jul 24, 2023, 02:08 PM »
I've heard Walmart and other stores sell it and claim that people can buy it to use in other states, pretty lame excuse to make money off the cheaters. Learn how to hunt.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #2746 on: Jul 24, 2023, 04:07 PM »
There seems to be some confusion here.  It is perfectly legal to plant food plots and hunt over them in NY.  It is very common.  It is not legal to place any mineral blocks containing salt where deer have access.  It is not legal to place bait to attract game.  You will see bags of "deer candy" in many retail stores later in the year.  It seems obvious that most of these, if not all, are being used illegally to bait deer.  I imagine most of these contain corn, maybe with some salt or sugar added.  The DEC will ticket anyone caught doing this.  It does seem wrong that stores can sell this stuff in NY when it is not legal to use it in NY.  That's NY for you.

Just the opposite for lead sinkers. Can't sell em in NY, but you can use em.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

cnyiceguy

« Reply #2747 on: Jul 24, 2023, 04:30 PM »
NY DEC is full of hypocrisy. First, most of the state went from shotgun to high power rifle " to help control the deer" yet won't allow full inclusion for xbows for older people. They want to "protect" spawning bass by having a season, yet allow tournament fisherman to target them on beds (allowing gobies to eat their eggs). They wonder what is wrong with the grouse population but I see more fisher than grouse in my area of the southern tier. Thanks for introducing another predator when there isn't a market for fur. Statewide 10" limits on crappie will produce lots of lakes with 9" just like they were 8" when they had to be 9". Yet they a "worried" about crappie taking over the St Regis lakes. There are other things I can't remember right now.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2748 on: Jul 24, 2023, 04:42 PM »

I’m and old buzzard, I seen many things over the years , some not so bad and others that make no sense what so ever
 1 rule I would like to see back in place
 Would be no fishing any fish out of season , no catch and release fishing

gotagetm

« Reply #2749 on: Jul 24, 2023, 05:25 PM »
I agree there 100 percent Fred

SeanP

• Formally known as SPN
« Reply #2750 on: Jul 24, 2023, 08:37 PM »
I’m and old buzzard, I seen many things over the years , some not so bad and others that make no sense what so ever
 1 rule I would like to see back in place
 Would be no fishing any fish out of season , no catch and release fishing

X2

SeaP

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #2751 on: Jul 25, 2023, 05:26 AM »
Cant wait to fill my bear tag. 

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #2752 on: Jul 25, 2023, 05:47 AM »
F&R, I am with you on that C&R.

Bauls, that is my kind of "bear"...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #2753 on: Jul 25, 2023, 07:59 AM »

the tender horned bear 😉

jperch

« Reply #2754 on: Jul 25, 2023, 08:08 AM »
As a SCUBA diver I can tell you that the gobies quickly raid nests when a bass is off the bed.  There are youtube videos of this.  The catch and release out of season only applies to bass, correct?  I don't think you can target walleyes or pike out of season, although it might be hard to prove you were targeting them.  So, why the exception for bass?

Mac Attack

« Reply #2755 on: Jul 25, 2023, 08:20 AM »
As a SCUBA diver I can tell you that the gobies quickly raid nests when a bass is off the bed.  There are youtube videos of this.  The catch and release out of season only applies to bass, correct?  I don't think you can target walleyes or pike out of season, although it might be hard to prove you were targeting them.  So, why the exception for bass?

Probably because there's so freekin many of them.
I'm going out on a limb here and figuring the DEC decided that even if the gobies eat the eggs that it won't damage the bass eco structure.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2756 on: Jul 25, 2023, 08:43 AM »
 Ok here’s my take I’m going to say the bass organizations carry a lot of weight in some areas , Oneida isn’t as good as it once was
 Jefferson county has unlimited bass and they don’t allow it
 If the DEC believes your targeting fish out of season you could get a ticket but most times they will warn you and tell you to move on , we see it up north while perch fishing this spring , we had a visit from the DEC checking licenses and so on
 We ask them about it and they say they give out lots warnings

lowaccord66

« Reply #2757 on: Jul 25, 2023, 09:45 AM »
A ticket for targeting is a hard one to get. Some states do it right by saying if you catch a species that isnt in season more than 3x and dont change tactics you are "targeting" them.  Makes sense.

TomFish

« Reply #2758 on: Jul 25, 2023, 10:02 AM »

Basically, food seed to lure in deer to be shot.
Bait and shoot for deer is not legal in NY.
However, many do it.
But those are food plot seeds...?

Planting seeds in the ground is not baiting and is perfectly legal, which is why i was confused at what the picture was supposed to be pointing out.

Seed =\= feed.

jperch

« Reply #2759 on: Jul 25, 2023, 11:35 AM »
A ticket for targeting is a hard one to get. Some states do it right by saying if you catch a species that isnt in season more than 3x and dont change tactics you are "targeting" them.  Makes sense.
One Spring the GF and I were perch fishing with minnows on Fair Haven Bay.  We were doing pretty well on the perch.  I caught a couple smallish pike and a bass in a row.  She put her pole down and made me move the boat.  I think if you were casting big spoons or something like that a CO would have a good argument for writing a ticket but we were legitimately perch fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.