FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What kind of wood to use for poles?  (Read 1840 times)

Anchorman

What kind of wood to use for poles?
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 05:49 AM »
Myself and a friend are building an elevated hunting shack for use by the family. (Dads that are in their 60's and 80's.)
We've got to set 3-4 poles in the ground. I do not have access to "telephone poles", but I do have access to a locust grove, and some elms.
I'd like any suggestions on how to treat the poles for longest lasting use.
Any preservatives I can apply to the logs, or debarking them perhaps??
Thanks,
Anchorman

fishfrey

Re: What kind of wood to use for poles?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I would just use the locust. They are very hard and often used as fence posts. Don't bother treating them just check them each year and replace as necessary. But proably a safer bet would be to use a ladder stand or box stand on metal tripod.

brookiebandit13

• Bring on the bite!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2009, 07:21 PM »
i would use the locust, but if you really want to treat them find someone with a drum of used motor oil and soak them for a week or more if possible. and if you cant find a drum of oil, change the oil in your truck and spread several coats with a paint brush. :laugh:
Whoho, This is a good one, he is fightin good, here he comes ------- SNAP!!!

Spin

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2009, 01:55 PM »
De-bark whatever type of logs you decide to use. It's a huge step in keeping invasive insects from attacking the wood.

Spin

Game Hog

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2009, 06:59 PM »
I agree with fishfrey.  I would not treat them with anything.  Animals in general have 7 times the sense of smell that humans have. 
Live to fish

oldtown42

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Make sure the locust is cured. It twists when it dries and won't work well. In any event, what about treated 4x4s or 6x6s or something like that?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.