FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Muddy Trout!!  (Read 3614 times)

Lifeguard

Muddy Trout!!
« on: Apr 19, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Ok,  I have a pond full of rainbow trout, the oldest of which is going on three years, so they are starting to get to a nice size now.  Sounds great right, well the trouble is that they are like eating a handful of mud.  Anyone have any recipes or suggestions on how to get rid of the mud flavour.  They are pellet fed for the summer, and I run an aerator to prevent winter kill and improve water quality.

eyedoktr

Re: Muddy Trout!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2010, 07:53 PM »
My guess is that it is the pellet food that is causing the muddy taste. When trout here are first stocked, they taste terrible (muddy?). After a week in the stream, they are fine.
Pete Lewis

Lifeguard

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2010, 08:12 AM »
Well, that poses a problem, as I've stocked to a point that the natural food supply will not support that many fish.  They have only been fed a half dozen times or so since the ice went off a couple weeks back, so I'll have to catch one now and see if they taste any better right now.

FISHMAN247

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2010, 08:21 AM »
FEED THEM CORN AND FAT HEADS.  ITLL TAKE A MONTH OR SO BUT NIBBLET CORN WILL HELP THE FLAVOR OF YOUR TROUT

Lifeguard

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Oh, so the trout get to eat better than I do!!!  Just kidding, I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.