FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tiger musky??  (Read 13377 times)

jlaclair

Re: Tiger musky??
« Reply #75 on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I had read an article about northern pike strains from all over the world, some really cool ones, I cant find the article but that reminds me of one of them.

taxid

« Reply #76 on: Apr 18, 2011, 11:59 AM »
I think I saw that too. Some really odd looking varieties into eastern Europe and into northern Asia. They are a circumpolar species.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #77 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:43 PM »
here's a trick, cover the body with your hand, do that and you see a northern pike,     now imagine that picture taken with the fish on the ground with nothin around it to indicate the size and you'd think juvie northern,... i've seen juvie pike 6" long and they look absolutly identical this photo....  i've cought a big pike with red fins and red on its back but it was still a northern, never seen one before and havent seen one since like it... sometimes their markings can be off,  it's either still holding the juvie patterns or you simply just caught a one of a kind :thumbup_smilie:.......... just my 2 cents

p.s.- it would've helped if the pores were counted ;D

thats   cool  i  got  a  couple  with  red  fins  never  on  the  back  ,  i've  gotten  alot  of  juvvie   northerns    that  hold  this  color  pattern    for  a  long  time  ,i  imagine     it  happens   everywhere   but  i  fish   for  northerns alot  .  with  the   dec  school  in  my  back  yard  i  have  taken  many  pictures  and  even  fish  ion ....  all  in  all  it's  a  northern ....  but  hey  i',  not  saying  theres  no  easter  bunny   here  :rotflol: :rotflol:

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

taxid

« Reply #78 on: Apr 18, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Response from Shawn Good biologist Vermont Fish & Game:

..... – the marking patterns don’t look quite like the pike-pickerel hybrids I’m familiar with.  The patterns can vary somewhat however, so I can’t rule out pike-pickerel hybrid.  The two other characteristics I would need to know about would be the scaling on the cheek and gill covers, and the number of pores on either side of the lower jaw.  

Scaling characteristics:

Muskie – only the top half of the cheek and opercular (gill cover) are scaled

Pike – the cheek is scaled on the top and bottom half, but only the top half of the the opercular is scaled

Pickerel – the top and bottom of both the cheek and opercular are scaled

Tiger Muskie – a mixture between muskie and pike.  The scaling pattern is a blend of the two.

Pike-Pickerel hybrid – same deal – the scaling is a blend.

What water was this caught in?

Shawn

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

combsey going to catchem

« Reply #79 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:58 AM »
He said it was caught in the sagadaga res     

taxid

« Reply #80 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:55 AM »
He said it was caught in the sagadaga res     

sacandaga

combsey going to catchem

« Reply #81 on: Apr 19, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Yeah that's it.      Misspelled a lake that is only a stone throw away   That's not good lol

taxid

« Reply #82 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Yeah that's it.      Misspelled a lake that is only a stone throw away   That's not good lol

Maybe you need to brush up on your Native American language skills?  ;D

I wouldn't have got it if I hadn't copy and pasted it!   ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.