FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Robin Hood Lake, Becket?  (Read 3056 times)

Bosco

Robin Hood Lake, Becket?
« on: Sep 07, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Anyone have any basic info on species and productivity here? I’m finding extremely limited and inconsistent info. I’ve got a place rented next month for Columbus Day weekend. John boat available on premises so with a vexilar, trolling motor/battery I can get around. Just wondering if I’m better off maybe going for a couple panfish meals or leaving the fillet knife home and going for some game fish?

I don’t know what kind of pressure this small lake gets so if a PM off the Hotwire is more appropriate, I’d appreciate that as well.

Thanks very much.

Bosco

Re: Robin Hood Lake, Becket?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2020, 03:56 PM »
Welp...it was tough to find any deep water. 5-6 feet deep most everywhere I looked. Fish were abundant though. Largemouth, Pickerel, and Perch were active enough all weekend to keep me busy. Nice little lake. Beautiful scenes of fall in the Berkshires. I’d go back.

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2020, 09:13 AM »
Pretty sure its private, hence the lack of responses.  Glad you had a good time.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2020, 09:29 AM »
I once looked into buying a log home on that lake. The HOA rules scared me off.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Bosco

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2020, 01:28 PM »
Yeah...private lake community. We did an AirBnB for the long weekend. They had a little aluminum 12 footer and I brought an electric troller and battery. No wake allowed. Idle speed only. Many of the shoreline homes/cottages had pontoon boats. The eye opener was that I had no idea they made them that small. I guess it’s all you’d need for a lake that size with no wake rules, but still, these things were TINY!! I’m planning a return trip over Thanksgiving to a different Berkshire Lake. I’m really coming to enjoy the area and I’m thinking retirement location. The taxes are a lot more reasonable than I thought...but yeah....the HOA that “Sherwood Forest” community? No thanks. The one downside....these lakes all seem to have way too may pickerel and not enough Walleye...like ZERO walleye in the Berkshires.

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Yeah...private lake community. We did an AirBnB for the long weekend. They had a little aluminum 12 footer and I brought an electric troller and battery. No wake allowed. Idle speed only. Many of the shoreline homes/cottages had pontoon boats. The eye opener was that I had no idea they made them that small. I guess it’s all you’d need for a lake that size with no wake rules, but still, these things were TINY!! I’m planning a return trip over Thanksgiving to a different Berkshire Lake. I’m really coming to enjoy the area and I’m thinking retirement location. The taxes are a lot more reasonable than I thought...but yeah....the HOA that “Sherwood Forest” community? No thanks. The one downside....these lakes all seem to have way too may pickerel and not enough Walleye...like ZERO walleye in the Berkshires.

you are only going to find walleye in the CT River for the most part.  our state does a poor job of stocking, IMO.  You get your typical spring and fall trout stocking and then occasionally get some fingerling pike or tiger muskies stocked in a few places.  There's still decent fishing locally but it isn't something the state seems to really put much effort into.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Bosco

« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2020, 08:04 PM »
you are only going to find walleye in the CT River for the most part.  our state does a poor job of stocking, IMO.  You get your typical spring and fall trout stocking and then occasionally get some fingerling pike or tiger muskies stocked in a few places.  There's still decent fishing locally but it isn't something the state seems to really put much effort into.
Thank you. I’m finding that out. Almost all the lakes I’m looking at make reference to Spring and Fall trout stockings. I really don’t target trout. I’d be more inclined to target perch and crappie. Most all the lakes I’m investigating have perch and many have crappie. I don’t have an aversion towards trout fishing and I think I could really enjoy dedicating time and effort to finding success in that area. One things for sure. They almost all seem to have an over abundance of pickerel. I’ve been reading up just a little on CT River Walleye. If I spend enough time in Mass. then it’s inevitable that I’ll scratch that itch as well.

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2020, 08:38 PM »
The state tried many years ago with Walleye in different waters around the state and found they could not reproduce except in Conn. River and the Merrimack. Even in both rivers the population is not huge and can take a lot of time to figure out... I have been working at it for a while and only the past few years have started to get them in open water and through the ice with any consistency. Let me know when you want to try...

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:33 AM »
There's one spot in the berks with them and its off limits....a quarry pond has them in it.

Hoa = communism in America.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:10 PM »
Out here our fish and games found out if planted too small the walleye are just expensive fish food. They need to be planted in the 6 to 8 inch range and for several years in a row. A one shot deal or once in a while doesn't cut it. And for good reproduction in lakes they need a wind swept shoreline with the correct stone/gravel size. That why larger lakes usually reproduce better as there is almost always some wind in the spring and it also keeps the gravel clean. Also lots of forage needed. Walleye are veracious predators. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:55 PM »
It is a PH issue.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2020, 04:02 PM »
It is a PH issue.

So Ph is a limiting thing for walleye? IIRR your Ph's run in the acidic range. Alkalinty seems really low too which reduces productivity.

Out here in my area of the midwest our Ph's in the lakes run in the mid 8 range and hardness and alkalinity are quite high.

A lake I wish in Mass has an alkalinity of about 20 mg/l. Here we are talking 350 mg/l. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.