FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BIP Gang- Ponds and Lake Adventures  (Read 151722 times)

NH_RED

Re: BIP Gang- Ponds and Lake Adventures
« Reply #705 on: Aug 03, 2016, 02:14 PM »

I was wrong he says burn instead of etched :'(

Dispy

« Reply #706 on: Aug 05, 2016, 09:50 AM »
great pics! Nothing better then spending time with the boys no matter how or where!  Love the comment etched into memory! reminds me of that Flip Pallot guy from ESPN walkers Cay chronicles morning fishing show.
Great video series, well worth the watch imo. These two boys surely have been raised in the woods and on the water ;D
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Dispy

« Reply #707 on: Aug 15, 2016, 10:34 PM »
$1650 per motor to rebuild carbs....uhuh I don't think so..........rebuilt 12 carbs for less than $123, developed a leak in the old hynautic steering system-two new o-rings and done........rebuilt the power trim motor on the port side motor, $25 in parts........what a savings, plus I got to know my motors inside and out- degreased and 350 ponies are galloping nicely :D   A week of down time and boredom, has now led me to refinish all the teak throughout the boat. 12 hour test run on the lake and all is good...... Back on the salt on Thursday through next Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/1527327754/videos/10210421935894520/

"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Dispy

« Reply #708 on: Aug 19, 2016, 02:05 PM »
No strangers to fishing with us, the Osborne crew experienced their "another first"- a trip on the salt. Departing at 3 am, we were on the water at 4:15 am. A rather cool morning especially after the northwesterly gales that blew for the past two days, dropping the surface temps from 78*f down to a cool 62*f.  The smell of two stroke and saltwater just gets my blood pumping! Fine views of the moon nestled in the clouds and being greeted by the morning sun as she peeks over the ocean horizon is truly one of the most spectacular starts to the day. It provides time for a reflection of the "new/meets old", a sense of excitement and the definition of "what is our place on this planet."

On the mackerel by 4:30 am, we observed the lack of larger Mackerel in comparison to those that were caught during my previous trips. We were rewarded with Striper gold....Tinkers and plenty of them! It did not take long for the three of us to fill the livewell and catching the one and one half hour & three hours after period. Dead low tide(6:01) am. The new comers to the salt were all smiles, I think they are now hooked.......We fished to no avail along the jetties, outside the MOM and along the breakline troughs that Plum Island offers......not too much going on..two hook-ups and two losses. Even the birds had moved of the shores and there was no shortage of seals (tell tale sign as to why). A very slow morning reported by many of the Captains. I considered running to Ipswich as there have been reports of blues working along Plum Island Sound but thought better as the blows more than likely pushed them back around the point of Cape Ann..thinking in terms of the Cape being a nice wind break for staging fish to sit back and let mother nature push free meals to them on the lee side before chasing meals further north. Considering this seasons wind history, I'd bet dollar for dollar, they will not migrate north and grace our shores. Local reports have been strong for those seeking bluefish in and around Sandy Bay and the Misery Island area.

Back out to reload with more Mackerel, we ventured 3 miles offshore to try our luck on the many irregular bathymetry contours insignificant humps that I found while creating new maps on my last solo trip out. More Tinks...hmmm so just where did the eater sized Mackerel go ;)  

High tide at noon time, it was time to search out Striper activity when the strangest thing occurred.....at thirty-five feet, my sonar blacked out. Completely blacked out from two feet to the bottom, however the upper limit kept bouncing - 2 to 4 to 9 to 12 back to 2 feet. Odd, so we circled back around following my GPS tracks......nothing, unit was reading fine from top to bottom. Searching 50 yards east it happened again. Ok let's drop the lines and see what we have under us..no birds were present....but 12-14" voracious meat eating fast attacking squid were.......A first for me catching squid on live lined Tinkers....Intrigued by that, we spent the next two hours chasing squid, too bad I took my smaller net and squid jigs out of the boat the night before (note too self, put that gear back in the boat along with two five gallon buckets and get back out there in the morning). Although, we brought several squid along the boat side, none were taken... the sight of me trying to net them with my bait net must have looked very strange to passersby :D  I even laughed at myself for trying and almost getting inked in the process 8)

Giving up on the squid, it was time to buckle down and put their first Striper in the boat....Two more massive strikes and two more losses...the Osborne's hopes were dwindling. 3pm and the starboard line starts screaming, Gage, Katelyn's son was sleeping in the cuddy (you may remember these two from our Winni outing last season-the youngster holding up a dandy Salmon and pig Rainbow found in previous pages on this thread) so Katelyn is up to bat...I grab the rod, not taking any chances on inexperience losing another fish, bury the hook and hand over the rod to her. The fish took her around the boat twice with each attempt to bring it to the boat the fish made more drag peeling runs. Working hard to clear all the lines to give her as much room as needed, she held the fish to the starboard and did an excellent job in doing so......One more run under the boat, she brought the fish around the bow and it immediately went for the "twins"  Oh boy, there goes the fish...............................

Teaching the youngster the art of Jigging:

Notice the hole in the head, squid beak destruction:

Thick with Squid:

More Squid damage:

The Prize!! 28" right on the button and loaded with a belly full of Silversides:

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
« Reply #709 on: Aug 19, 2016, 03:22 PM »
Nice Job Kate & Gage!

Good Man getting them out and on the fish Dispy.

I met Katelyn, her niece and Gage at the Ice Shanty Get Together this past March. Katelyn won the portable ice shack we raffled off. It was too big to fit in her car so I offered to deliver it for her. Very nice woman and Great kids. Hopefully they will get some good use out of it this winter.

Glad to see everyone had a good day out there.  :thumbup_smilie:

JoeGG

« Reply #710 on: Aug 19, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Was the surface temp really 78 degrees on the ocean? That's what it's been on the lakes but I would have thought much cooler on the ocean.

Dispy

« Reply #711 on: Aug 21, 2016, 03:31 PM »
Was the surface temp really 78 degrees on the ocean? That's what it's been on the lakes but I would have thought much cooler on the ocean.

Here is a good link for ocean temps JoeGG ......keep in mind I reported surface temps and did not drop a fishhawk to monitor the depths. Our home lake is 89*f (on the hottest of days) on the surface with a good thermocline set up at 45 f.o.w.  https://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/sat_data/show/?file=../../regions/bigbight/sst/noaa/2016/img/160821.234.1842.n19.jpg

Dispy

« Reply #712 on: Aug 21, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Nice Job Kate & Gage!

Good Man getting them out and on the fish Dispy.

I met Katelyn, her niece and Gage at the Ice Shanty Get Together this past March. Katelyn won the portable ice shack we raffled off. It was too big to fit in her car so I offered to deliver it for her. Very nice woman and Great kids. Hopefully they will get some good use out of it this winter.

Glad to see everyone had a good day out there.  :thumbup_smilie:
Thanks NHTF, we all enjoyed a long 16 hour day. Katelyn mentioned  that you dropped off her winnings, very nice of you to do that. I know they'll be enjoying the ice in comfort this upcoming season. We gifted Gage a Coleman heater for his birthday....they'll stay warm for sure. Both of them are diehards icefishers..lucky boy to have a mom like that!

JoeGG

« Reply #713 on: Aug 21, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Here is a good link for ocean temps JoeGG ......keep in mind I reported surface temps and did not drop a fishhawk to monitor the depths. Our home lake is 89*f (on the hottest of days) on the surface with a good thermocline set up at 45 f.o.w.  https://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/sat_data/show/?file=../../regions/bigbight/sst/noaa/2016/img/160821.234.1842.n19.jpg
I know the link and realize you were talking surface temp as my post states. 78 degrees just seems too warm unless you're out in the gulfstream.

Dispy

« Reply #714 on: Aug 21, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I know the link and realize you were talking surface temp as my post states. 78 degrees just seems too warm unless you're out in the gulfstream.
JoeGG if you clicked on the link you'd clearly see the color yellow denoting 74*f surface water temps on our NH coastline at that particular time of the day. It is not impossible to find warmer surface temps during the sun's highest point in the day on flat seas.....do those temps stay that way all day, of course not..many differing factors to the equation ;)

JoeGG

« Reply #715 on: Aug 21, 2016, 07:32 PM »
JoeGG if you clicked on the link you'd clearly see the color yellow denoting 74*f surface water temps on our NH coastline at that particular time of the day. It is not impossible to find warmer surface temps during the sun's highest point in the day on flat seas.....do those temps stay that way all day, of course not..many differing factors to the equation ;)
I don't know about "clearly" Tom. Even 74 is pushing it with the blues, greens, and faint yellows I'm looking at. Although I don't really know how far out you went. Let's hope those surface temps don't get any warmer the way the tropics are starting to heat up.

On another note, have you ever fished the Deer Island Rip in Boston Harbor. I can give you some very good first hand info if you and the boys want to try it.

Dispy

« Reply #716 on: Aug 23, 2016, 10:25 PM »
I don't know about "clearly" Tom. Even 74 is pushing it with the blues, greens, and faint yellows I'm looking at. Although I don't really know how far out you went. Let's hope those surface temps don't get any warmer the way the tropics are starting to heat up.

On another note, have you ever fished the Deer Island Rip in Boston Harbor. I can give you some very good first hand info if you and the boys want to try it.
It's all good Joe.....yes I fish the rips in May for floundah...........having the new boat, I am no longer restricted by the captain as it is me.......Love to have you aboard..I'll be running the ocean until January at Cape Hatteras, then off to Destin Florida, returning for Lake Ontario and back to our NE salt in June....

Dispy

« Reply #717 on: Jul 01, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Big Island Pond update: Water Temp 78*F on this cloudy day. Temps at 3 feet below the surface. The trout are setting up on the thermocline....4-5 colors gets the best results.

Off to a rather slow start this year with some costly repairs from late October being remedied and tested before we hit the big blue...new port side lower unit, port side trim motor, LED gunwale lights as well as LED soft blue lights to highlight the deck, saltwater trolling gear(outriggers)..... updated LED mast light...lol to fish the salt costs triple the small ponds like Winnipesaukee.

5 hours on the pond today with starboard motor.....soon we will be in full swing!

Tight Lines~

JIGGIN

« Reply #718 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Great ready Dispy. Thanks.

Another thread i enjoy reading although i couldn't see pictures :(

Cheers to you and the BIP Gang.
Go Go Get Em!

Dispy

« Reply #719 on: Sep 11, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Hope all are well... we have not been very active for quite some time due to mechanical issues, replacing the twins and two boys in college..however we still check in from time to time...hope everyone has experienced a great season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.