MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Fly Fishing

Any "freestyle" tiers out there?

(1/3) > >>

jones-in-vermont:
Just wondering if there are other people who fall into the "freestyle" fly tier category, or if i'm the only one?  By freestyle, i mean not following a specific pattern, and basically creating something that the world (and therefore the fish) have never seen before, on a regular basis. For me, its every time i get the vice out.

MickeyFinn:
Kinda hard to say freestyle for me, I'd say I'm more of a "my rendition"  tier.... I tie unorthodox for the most part... I don't stick to the general rule of thumb per say... For example I use a lot of over sized hackles and my tails usually are much longer than most people leave them...
I learned from 2 great old school fly tiers also...Frank Audino and John Bianco ....

jones-in-vermont:

--- Quote from: MickeyFinn on Apr 17, 2013, 05:11 PM ---Kinda hard to say freestyle for me, I'd say I'm more of a "my rendition"  tier.... I tie unorthodox for the most part... I don't stick to the general rule of thumb per say... For example I use a lot of over sized hackles and my tails usually are much longer than most people leave them...
I learned from 2 great old school fly tiers also...Frank Audino and John Bianco ....

--- End quote ---
    My patterns are generally very simple, and often very generic. i take some inspiration from patterns that look good, but i think the most "Textbook" flies ive ever made are probably some stealth bombers (basically a foam dahlberg diver) and some deer hair versions. I like to think that what i lack in my material variety, i make up for in the creative ways i use it.

rgfixit:
Nothing more fun than sitting down at the bench with no plan ;D....just an image of what it is you want to see.

Here's one I started playing with last year that turned out to be super productive. I've never sen a pattern with a muddler style body, lead eyes and a spun deer hair head. Maybe there's one out there with a name...but this one's mine ;D

RG

bigredfishing:
Freestyle tier here.   I never tie exact patterns, just use them as a generic guideline.  The most productive flies I tie are patterns I developed myself.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version