FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What size shaft?  (Read 4323 times)

filetandrelease

Re: What size shaft?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Yes those small motors are great but I believe they are made by touhatsu (spelling  )? I have a 9.9 pro kicker on mine that is 12 years young and runs very well

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Keep your eyes open over the winter
You can buy a decent used 4-stroke for less than $1000

filetandrelease

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2018, 05:03 PM »

Bass pro sometimes has great deals on hold over motors , at least the 1 in Auburn Ny does

Knot there yet

« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Yes those small motors are great but I believe they are made by touhatsu (spelling  )? I have a 9.9 pro kicker on mine that is 12 years young and runs very well
Not in 1986. Tohatsu(Nissan) are great motors too.All small mercury motors are Tohatsu’s now. Same plant builds both different decals. I think the Yamaha’s too. I’d put mine against any of the new fourstrokes they couldn’t compete. These 15hp are legendary

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Keep your eyes open over the winter
You can buy a decent used 4-stroke for less than $1000

I've seen them but for the extra thousand why not go new? 

filetandrelease

« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2018, 03:46 PM »

I found this interesting
http://In 1987, Mercury Marine and Tohatsu Corporation created a joint venture called Tohatsu Marine Corporation (TMC) to manufacture smaller outboards. Right now all Mercury models 30 horsepower and less are manufactured by TMC in Japan.Oct 23, 2011

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2018, 08:30 AM »
I've seen them but for the extra thousand why not go new?

I see what you are saying, but I think a lot of these kicker sized motors don't get used much or very hard at all. The one I bought, he also used it as a kicker, I swear it looked like it was showroom new. I mean, look at this thing:

I had a lot of other expenses going on with this "new to me" boat and I saw this and it runs flawlessly so saving a thousand -or in my case more like $1500- I decided to give it a shot. I got that for $800 with a real nice, small tank that I now use on my 14' boat with the 25hp since this is plumbed to my fuel tank. But the fact is these small motors just don't get used hard at all. I mean, I've now trolled at least 200 hours with it since I got it, but before that I bet it was used very infrequently.

To me, the warranty is of very little use after the first year. They either work out of the box or they don't and if they didn't the first owner probably took care of it with the original warranty. Then it's just small things like maybe a fuel pump diaphragm or carb rebuild kit but that is nothing for me to save a grand or more. The Pro Kickers are closer to $2800 and even a good, brand new 8hp Tohatsu/Merc was going to run me $2200. But at some point I am going to want power tilt and remote start, so who knows what I will do then. Maybe buy new, but probably not.

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:48 AM »
All good stuff Geoff.

I totally agree with you.

I once bought a Honda 9.9 4-stroke, with T&T and remote throttle used.
Cost me only $1200
I had it on my 25' Sportcraft.

Smaller motors are typically not beat up on.
As long as the fluids and filters are changed regularly, they will run a very long time.

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Oct 12, 2018, 12:29 PM »
I'm mechanically inclined so warranties don't sell me much.  I have looked at a bunch of used, I just haven't found the right price where the savings outweigh being able to break one in myself.  Pretty boat Mac!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2018, 12:53 PM »
All good stuff Geoff.

I totally agree with you.

I once bought a Honda 9.9 4-stroke, with T&T and remote throttle used.
Cost me only $1200
I had it on my 25' Sportcraft.

Smaller motors are typically not beat up on.
As long as the fluids and filters are changed regularly, they will run a very long time.

Yeah, nice looking Sportcraft. That's a serious trolling machine!

Mac Attack

« Reply #25 on: Oct 12, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Yeah, nice looking Sportcraft. That's a serious trolling machine!

It was sweet.
Got to big though.
I downsized to the Lund.

But thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.