FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Boat US Unlimited Towing was worth every penny!  (Read 2906 times)

stripernut

The Boat US Unlimited Towing was worth every penny!
« on: Aug 26, 2020, 05:17 AM »
The trip for some Funny Fish did not go as planned... No one was hurt and no one was hit by the tire and hub that traveled a quarter mile down the Highway. When the axle dug into the dirt the fire went out...  Called BoatUS and the boat was on its way home in a little less than an hour (an hour and a half ride) and not a penny out of pocket...

filetandrelease

Re: The Boat US Unlimited Towing was worth every penny!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2020, 05:35 AM »
 I’m glad no one was hurt , things sure could have been much worse ,  good to know about Boat  US

deerhunter

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2020, 08:31 AM »
lucky for you it didn't flip over. same thing happened to me headed down the cape. forgot to tighten the lug nuts. never did find the tire and rim.lol

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2020, 08:54 AM »
Who cares if the people are ok, IS THE BOAT OK?? Just kidding.

That's good info on Boat US, I think I will look into it. Really could have made a bad day a lot worse to have to pay for that tow.

iceman260

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Could have ended in disaster,glad no one was hurt.

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2020, 10:18 AM »
Glad everything turned okay.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2020, 12:58 PM »
glad everything worked out. funnyfish is just getting good so you have plenty of time to get out again.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Glad everyone is ok! 

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2020, 03:32 PM »
Thanks, guys, now the hunt is on for an axle. Hope we can find one before the fish are gone.

Baitbucket

« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2020, 07:00 PM »
Yikes man! Glad to hear no one got hurt.  What happened?

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2020, 07:55 PM »
Even thou we check them and add grease often, it failed. When the tire flew off I looked back and the spindle and bearings were on fire and the sparks were flying! As we pulled over the side of the axle buried in the soft shoulder and it put out the fire. The hub came right off the tire and the tire is fine, the hub not so much. The funny thing is the spindle looks like it might still be useable with a new hub kit. But I don't think we will test that theory.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2020, 09:32 AM »
Glad you guys are alright!
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Glad you made it out without life threatening  incident…Road failures truly do suck.. and they happen to anyone that spends enough time on the road trailering ..sooner or latter... no matter how well you prepare.

the following advise is meant to help others..

Bearings on boat trailers need to be cleaned and inspected ( and new seals installed) each and every season ( same goes for snow mobile and utility trailers)...just pumping bearing buddies full of grease doesn't get it done, in fact they can be the source of the problem ( as well as the wrong type of grease), bearings that spin fast need less grease than bearings that spin slow, excess grease causes friction, friction causes heat, heat dissipates the grease( blows it out your seals allover your tires causing failed bearing due to water intrusion)..  and also cause bearing to run dry and catch on fire... these type of failures often dont damage the spindle ( as opposed to a rusted bearing that seizes on the spindle), but the only way to know is to measure  or try fitting a new bearing, if the fitment is good you save some money...on the other hand axels are cheap and easy to replace.. and if the new spindle/axel does not have stainless steel sleeves, install them, they are cheap and save your spindle and seals... if someone wants to install them with their next bearing service, PM me with the INNER bearing race size and I can tell you the CR seal number for that spindle/bearing combination, I have a chart somewhere on my desk top.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2020, 02:12 PM »
Great stuff Joe.  Westernmass and I have 10 hours of towing to do this weekend in total. What would you do to prepare for 5 hours each way?  Trailer has trailer brakes...new truck has trailer brake controls which I played with yesterday.  Turned the gain up a bit until the boat wasn't pushing.

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2020, 02:12 PM »
Thanks, Roccus, great info as always... So far the only axle I have found was 4 to 6 weeks to get...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.