FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What a day!  (Read 2046 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
What a day!
« on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Decided to target cod for the first time ever on my own and with a good eye on the weather and surf for a few days, I pulled the trigger on a day that looked calm. Well, it was definitely calm with less than 1 foot sea's so I made a run to a spot that looked fishy on a map and boy did it pay off. Armed with some jigs, spoons, and a few clams I found a few seabass right off the bat and then marked a school that looked thicker in color. Dropped a spoon down and nailed my first cod within 5 minutes of fishing. Over the next 2 hours my father and I brought up a 2 man limit of cod, a limit of seabass, some jumbo scup and wrasse, and even a few sculpin. I also forgot to mention that we took 5 casts in the morning to breaking fish and pulled in 5 large bonito. All in all, I am glad that I was able to spend the day slaying fish with my father, and getting him on his first ever bones and cod. My PB double digit cod as well. Smacked down some fish and chips with a nice IPA to finish the day off.

The fish are out there and hungry, go get em' folks!

Wicked Wec

westernmas

Re: What a day!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:25 AM »
Great job Mike!  Those fish and chips look perfect.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2020, 12:16 PM »
Great to get out and have a good trip with your Dad!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2020, 07:29 AM »
Love it Mike.  We need to pick that random day off soon!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2020, 02:38 AM »
Thanks fellas. Toss some dates at me.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2020, 08:13 AM »
Thanks fellas. Toss some dates at me.

No to dates.  We can do better than that.  We need to pick that ideal flat day that allows us to go anywhere!  I dont care if I have to reschedule 10 meetings.  Especially since I have the 8w and 10w ready for albies!

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:42 PM »
You do realize you have to start a charter business.
As usual good going Mike.  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:07 AM »
You do realize you have to start a charter business.
As usual good going Mike.  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

I would love to spend the rest of my life on the water.
Wicked Wec

icefisher47

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Those fish and chips look good. I second that you need to start your own charter service.
Take a kid fishing

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2020, 12:14 PM »
I would love to spend the rest of my life on the water.

Your already doing it right Mike.  Most of the captians I know work two jobs...and some really love the guiding.  I learned really quickly that fishing, to me at least is too precious to share with the masses.  I get more kicks sharing those trips with those closest to me and I'd struggle to carve that time off for strangers.  Hats off to the captains that do it and love it.

In short...some things shouldn't be used for financial gain and if anything will ruin our sport...its the commercial aspect of it. 

Roccus

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Your already doing it right Mike.  Most of the captians I know work two jobs...and some really love the guiding.  I learned really quickly that fishing, to me at least is too precious to share with the masses.  I get more kicks sharing those trips with those closest to me and I'd struggle to carve that time off for strangers.  Hats off to the captains that do it and love it.

In short...some things shouldn't be used for financial gain and if anything will ruin our sport...its the commercial aspect of it.

spot on Jon... it's the reason I stopped running charters and sold the Holland.
Nice fish Mike... sadly in the gulf of Maine, we have so many restrictions I cant be bothered.. I loaded up on haddock this spring but cod were my favorite target... I miss the glory days, we caught some real nice fish right in the mouth of the river.. jigging cod on light tackle in 15' of water is the balls...all winter long when we had good spells we launched the tin boats.. spring and fall fishing were phenomenal...and it was only a short 5 mile run to get as many cod or haddock as I wanted..

keep it up Mike as long as you can, water will be frozen before we know it.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2020, 12:15 PM »

You are spot on Jon. I meant spend the rest of my life on the water by myself. HAHAHA. You know as well as I do, and many others on here, what it really takes to be successful at a high percentage rate. That, is something I would never ruin. For me, for you, for the loyal friends I have met on here, and for my kids.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2020, 12:18 PM »
spot on Jon... it's the reason I stopped running charters and sold the Holland.
Nice fish Mike... sadly in the gulf of Maine, we have so many restrictions I cant be bothered.. I loaded up on haddock this spring but cod were my favorite target... I miss the glory days, we caught some real nice fish right in the mouth of the river.. jigging cod on light tackle in 15' of water is the balls...all winter long when we had good spells we launched the tin boats.. spring and fall fishing were phenomenal...and it was only a short 5 mile run to get as many cod or haddock as I wanted..

keep it up Mike as long as you can, water will be frozen before we know it.

You know it Joe! I really do feel blessed to have the species I do in my neck of the woods. Additionally, it breaks my heart that what you spent a whole lifetime molding into your own fair grounds, is now no longer available to you based on laws or stocks. The good thing is, I know you well enough to know you are happy on the water regardless of your target.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.