FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Van Horn and Chicopee  (Read 1127 times)

bogtrotter

Van Horn and Chicopee
« on: Sep 05, 2020, 05:56 PM »
I had to retrieve the planters full of flowers on some family cemetery plots today, so my younger son and I made a road trip to the Springfield area.

It was a beautiful day - - blue skies, temps in the low 70's.

Once our "chores" were done, we travelled to Van Horn Park  to fish the pond there - - which I dimly recall held some good-sized carp back in the Pleistocene era of my youth in the 1980's - - and arrived around 12 noon.

According to one of the locals that we spoke to, the Pond still holds some decent carp, along with a few bass, but all we managed to catch were a couple respectable sized sunfish apiece - - and I cannot say I saw any of the other fishermen there do any better.

Next, we drove to Granby Road in Chicopee and fished the river for a couple hours.

We started about half way between the dam and the Davitt Memorial Bridge and slowly made our way upstream.

The water was surprisingly low, and the action was slow, but eventually we succeeded in landing a half dozen smallmouth bass (all on the small side) plus one big sunfish just below the dam.

Unfortunately, we had to leave around 4:30 PM  to attend a family gathering - - and didn't have quite enough time to try my preferred spot about a half mile downstream from the Davitt Bridge, where I suspect a larger smallmouth or two might lurk, so we'll have to save that until next time. 

scooper47

Re: Van Horn and Chicopee
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2020, 06:35 AM »
May I ask where you park to fish off Granby Rd.? I checked Google Street View and didn't see any parking on that road. I haven't been there in years.

Ryan51993

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2020, 06:54 AM »
I don't know what you use for bait/lures but if you are mainly looking for numbers you should have no problem landing dozens and dozens of smallies in that area with a mepps spinner. You might have to get a little more creative for the larger smallies but spinners are absolutely deadly for medium sized fish there.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Nice work Jim.  For what its worth, goose pool fished very well the other night.  Despite being very low.

bogtrotter

« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys!  It's nice to know someone reads what I post. (Certainly beats crickets chirping).

To answer Scooper, there's a big dirt lot on the right as you're heading "up the hill" on Granby Road just upstream from the Davitt Bridge.

To reply to Ryan, my son and I were using night crawler segments (which had worked well for us there in the past).

I don't doubt that someone using a spinner could have done as well (or even better), but I did find it odd that all that was biting at what my son and I were offering were dink small mouth (and a solitary sunfish).  Go figure.

Jon - - Glad to hear Goose Pool is still producing.  It's a real gem of a honey hole.

I'm supposed to go fishing with a buddy on his boat on Cheshire tomorrow AM, and am also hoping to "even the score" with a few rainbows on the North Hoosic in the afternoon.  Hopefully, I'll have something better to post tomorrow.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2020, 08:53 PM »
Oddly enough Jim not a ton of smallies.  A bunch of rainbows and a large brown.  Good luck tomorrow.  Will be out too, going to be breezy.

bogtrotter

« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2020, 04:34 PM »
My buddy and I didn't get to go boating today due to mechanical problems (with his trailer), but I did manage to fish the North Branch for a couple hours and caught five small-to-mid-sized (10" to 12") rainbows, and lost a couple others.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.