FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Albie fun  (Read 2383 times)

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Albie fun
« on: Sep 08, 2020, 05:49 PM »
haven't been posting much lately mainly because I've been crushing the funnyfish almost daily. this year the fish have been running larger than normal with my biggest albie going almost 30in. a bunch of bonito and Spanish in the mix too to keep it interesting. This has been my best year to date with over 50 albies and 30 bones so far and they keep on coming. going to be ordering some new drag washers soon....

Bartman44

Re: Albie fun
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Wonderful. Nice job, they are great fun. Please send some my way (West - Long Island Sound), I just tied some new Albie patterns for the fly rod.     

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2020, 07:47 PM »
Love it!

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2020, 08:55 PM »
That’s awesome!

Which one makes the drag scream the best?

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2020, 08:05 AM »
Looks like a great time!  I've tried for them twice in my kayak and have run into terrible storms both times.  I shall try again.  If you know of any good launches to try for them in a kayak, please drop me a PM.  I had tried one in Bourne that you had suggested to me previously and it was a nice little spot but I didn't run into funny fish, mostly small blues and a few schoolies.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Looks like a great time!  I've tried for them twice in my kayak and have run into terrible storms both times.  I shall try again.  If you know of any good launches to try for them in a kayak, please drop me a PM.  I had tried one in Bourne that you had suggested to me previously and it was a nice little spot but I didn't run into funny fish, mostly small blues and a few schoolies.
there were some albies close to that ramp yesterday. ill pm another later when I get home

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Great job.
 That is one heck of a photo of the sky..

200fisher

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2020, 08:35 PM »
Great job.
 That is one heck of a photo of the sky..
Sure is!
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:08 AM »
That’s awesome!

Which one makes the drag scream the best?

Albies for sure!
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:08 AM »
Nice work T! keep em coming.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Albies for sure!

All day every day.  I need to get one on the fly.

westernmas

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:29 AM »
Had my first shot at a few albies on saturday but never connected.  I'm in my kayak and they start breaking on the surface and about ten boats come flying over and put the fish down.  I couldn't chase them like the boats so I stayed put and they came back my way about 3 times.  Saw one boat out of about a dozen hook up.  I thought I had one a little later but the breaking fish turned out to be blues.  I ended up picking up a couple sea bass just under keeper sized and a small blue.  Never seen so much bait though.  Birds had them pushed up right onto shore and I could feel the schools hitting my kayak paddle when they came under me.  Unfortunately there weren't any larger fish on the bait schools in the shallows.  The chase continues....
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2020, 11:59 AM »
Had my first shot at a few albies on saturday but never connected.  I'm in my kayak and they start breaking on the surface and about ten boats come flying over and put the fish down.  I couldn't chase them like the boats so I stayed put and they came back my way about 3 times.  Saw one boat out of about a dozen hook up.  I thought I had one a little later but the breaking fish turned out to be blues.  I ended up picking up a couple sea bass just under keeper sized and a small blue.  Never seen so much bait though.  Birds had them pushed up right onto shore and I could feel the schools hitting my kayak paddle when they came under me.  Unfortunately there weren't any larger fish on the bait schools in the shallows.  The chase continues....

You did the right thing when staying put. They have "patterns" and if you can put your self in one of those spots, boat, shore or kayak, you will get a chance. The other part is using the right bait and having a few to try because they can be picky. Longer flouro leader helps as well. I toss 12lb for both albies and bones and it works fine..... when they want to eat. Keep at it and you will connect. Good luck.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2020, 01:28 PM »
You did the right thing when staying put. They have "patterns" and if you can put your self in one of those spots, boat, shore or kayak, you will get a chance. The other part is using the right bait and having a few to try because they can be picky. Longer flouro leader helps as well. I toss 12lb for both albies and bones and it works fine..... when they want to eat. Keep at it and you will connect. Good luck.

I'll be down sizing my leader for sure.  I had 20lb on which was the smallest I had with me.  Been tossing Joebagss resin jigs at them in a variety of colors and sizes.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2020, 02:42 PM »
I'll be down sizing my leader for sure.  I had 20lb on which was the smallest I had with me.  Been tossing Joebagss resin jigs at them in a variety of colors and sizes.

Go as small as you can with lure size while still being able to cast to them. I like a 4-5' leader.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.