FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crappie help *Not lake specific*  (Read 3760 times)

00Fisher00

Crappie help *Not lake specific*
« on: Apr 20, 2012, 09:25 AM »
I've targeted them the last couple of times out. Only caught one per outting. I get about 6000 bites using mr twister jigs but cant seem to get 'em. Anyone ever tried tying trailer hooks on anything? I've tried floating them under small slip bobbers with the same result, bobber goes down i tug, theyre long gone... Dont really want to get into having to buy minnows everytime, so any advice is welcome..    :-\

fontona19

Re: Crappie help *Not lake specific*
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Sounds like you have the right idea. Maybe you should look into a longer rod. They can be tricky to hook. I usually use a 7'+ ML. It could also be too much slack when using the slip bobber. Make sure you have most of the slack out of the line, and dont "set" the hook intil you feel the weight of the fish.

NYSporty

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2012, 10:11 AM »
I use the slip bobber with a glowing ice jig under it tipped with 1/4 of a night crawler spikes, mousies, meal worms or a fat head they may hold on longer if there is meat on the hook.
4# line on a light or ul pole will also help.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2012, 10:50 AM »
crappies can be tough little devils.   I like using a stem bobber and a light jighead with a small plastic tail.   The bobber needs to be balanced so that it stands up with the weight of the jig, goes under with the slightest tug, but so that it turns on its side if the crappie swims up with it.   On tough days i will add one maggot to the hook for a little added something.  

FrankM

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2012, 11:13 AM »
Crappie have soft mouths.  Be careful you don't set the hook too hard and rip right thru their lip.  If you have sharp hooks you don't need to yank to set the hook just start reeling in.  Give that a try and see if you catch more.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

Prchmike

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Ditto to what Frank said crappies are sometimes called butter-mouths. They are real easy to rip the hook out of . If you are missing as many as you say that could be whats happening. It could also be some kind of small baitfish hitting you, like golden shiners or spot-tails.
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

00Fisher00

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Yeah i'm using my light action trout pole 6' i think with 4 lb mono. Its pretty hard to not yank on the pole when getting bit, but i had toned it down quite a bit. Paper lips is how ive heard them described! Just got home from Bass pro, picked up an assortment of road runners varying sizes, bunch of diff color tubes, and some 4lb nanofil. Hitting the lake with the girlfriend when she gets home from work (not that she knows this yet but ;D)

smeltbuster

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Here in s.w.mich. I use my 10' steelhead rods,6lb. mono,1/16 oz. pinkie jigs  high quality balsa floats & minnows.The crappies around here slam them . Enough cannot be said about sharp hooks,and getting all your equipment matched up. I also save all my dead minnows & freeze them.when the bite gets hot & heavy its a lot easier to put dead minnows on the hook & they work just fine (for me). I think the suggestions for the longer rods  will really make a difference for you.
Yes I am here, but I would rather be on the Kenai river,fishing for reds!

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2012, 05:41 PM »

your doing fine just lift them and don't try and set the hook ,their mouths are soft and tare easy , just a little practice and all will be well , a very soft rod will help just an ol buzzards .02

00Fisher00

« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Going to have to pick up a longer, lighter action rod. Going to try one of those bass pro micro lite combos i think. $20, it's worth a shot. Went out again this past friday with the same results. One crappie, girlfriend caught a couple 3lb(ish) largemouths which is always good! Didnt expect much the wind was ripping pretty good. Going to keep after em though...

zackblain

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I like to use a 7.5' fly rod with a spinin reel, that way all my hookset consists of is a small flick of the wrist. I also love my basspro carbon lite 6'9 medium lite as well for this

choo choo

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2012, 05:49 AM »
I've targeted them the last couple of times out. Only caught one per outting. I get about 6000 bites using mr twister jigs but cant seem to get 'em. Anyone ever tried tying trailer hooks on anything? I've tried floating them under small slip bobbers with the same result, bobber goes down i tug, theyre long gone... Dont really want to get into having to buy minnows everytime, so any advice is welcome..    :-\
Hey 00 Fisher....try casting out with a tiny bobber and tiny jig/twister tail , or jig/tube etc.....but keep a steady,slow retrieve.....you'll see the bobber sag down or go under when they bite...they pretty much hook themselves !   just keep reeling and lift. Works great for me, Plus you can cover lot's of water. If your tiny jig is riding up to high behind the bobber , add some split shot above the tiny jig. Good Luck
I'm fishing my way through life .

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2012, 06:01 AM »
Hey 00 Fisher....try casting out with a tiny bobber and tiny jig/twister tail , or jig/tube etc.....but keep a steady,slow retrieve.....you'll see the bobber sag down or go under when they bite...they pretty much hook themselves !   just keep reeling and lift. Works great for me, Plus you can cover lot's of water. If your tiny jig is riding up to high behind the bobber , add some split shot above the tiny jig. Good Luck

Great advice choo choo...we will slow drift or slow troll like that when we are searching for them...usually a small tube tipped witha leaky jared berkley Spike or maggot...
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

kb

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2012, 06:31 PM »
What type of rigs do you use?
Life isn't about just surviving a storm, but learning to dance in the rain.

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2012, 06:42 PM »
I use many different rigs...but I like 2" tubes, sometimes we ground pound (Thats what we call it) move and cast structure and shorelines with roadrunners or other spinners and tubes until we get into them...if we hit more than one then we will switch to bobbers with small jigs and sometimes fatheads tipped on different jigs...I prefer Caty Jigs...we also drift or slow troll with the roadrunners or tubes under a bobber various depths until we find where they are suspended...sometimes they are out deeper right on the surface...They are a tricky fish to figure out and sometimes to hook but when you find them it can get fast and furious quickly...thats what makes them so fun to catch...plus they taste great...somedays you have to work really hard to find them and other days they are stacked up right where you thought...just bought a new depth finder with Down Scan...I am hoping this will help even more...
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.