FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: anyone doing any winter trout fishig?  (Read 7901 times)

hookembob

anyone doing any winter trout fishig?
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Hi, anyone doing any winter trout fishing? Going to be cold tomorrow but going to give it a try.

bunker killer

Re: anyone doing any winter trout fishig?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Hey Bob, I've been hitting the trout at least once a week and doing well over here on this side of the state.

bunker killer

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2012, 03:25 PM »
I was just at this spot a few hours ago, its stacked with holdover strippers feeding on the herring.

hookembob

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:48 PM »
Hey Jim, Tried Strippers one time a few summers ago, had no idea what I was doing. Tried it in Waterford near the nuke plant with eels. All I got was crab. Fished the little river near the blackhawk. Going to try a small stream near the house for Trout, then if nothing happening there had to the Salmon river down in Colechester way which is only the next town down. Love to head to NY but that's not happening. I did get one day of Salmon fishing in up there this past fall, kind of got a handle on how to get those kings on eggs. Learned the hard way 6lb test was to light in my case. Lost around 17 fish before changing line. Bob

fishgalore

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Hi, anyone doing any winter trout fishing? Going to be cold tomorrow but going to give it a try.

I have been down in Jersey. Went last weekend. Landed a nice 18"+ on a stonefly and had another one on that was bigger but it shook the hook. I may go tomorrow as well. With the rain and warmer temps the water temp may be up a little bit. That may help the bite. I also saw a few others hooking into them but that spot is full of fish like up at Altmar on the SR. They've been caught over and over again. I didn't fish there last week but had a banner day there in late November while they were spawning.

bunker killer

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Hey Jim, Tried Strippers one time a few summers ago, had no idea what I was doing. Tried it in Waterford near the nuke plant with eels. All I got was crab. Fished the little river near the blackhawk. Going to try a small stream near the house for Trout, then if nothing happening there had to the Salmon river down in Colechester way which is only the next town down. Love to head to NY but that's not happening. I did get one day of Salmon fishing in up there this past fall, kind of got a handle on how to get those kings on eggs. Learned the hard way 6lb test was to light in my case. Lost around 17 fish before changing line. Bob
Hey Bob, I've been wanting to go check out the CT salmon river all year. I here it holds some nice winter trout?Its about 45 min from my hours in Woodbury. Last weekend I scouted out the Naugatuck river up in the camp ville area, I did see a few salmon up there, I'm thinking I might take another ride up there tomorrow.let me know how you do up in Colechester.This is the time of year to try that Nuke plant, the bass will be in that warm water everyday.

hookembob

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Jim, I'll let you know if I make it to the Salmon river. Going to his the Jeremy River first in Hebron. Last time I went there my brother in law was nailing them on Joe's flys, All good size brook trout, and a few brown. Last time I hit Salmon River was mid summer. Hell of a time trying to get to the trout with all the small salmon all over the place. But when We got to them nice size Rainbows.

bunker killer

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Jim, I'll let you know if I make it to the Salmon river. Going to his the Jeremy River first in Hebron. Last time I went there my brother in law was nailing them on Joe's flys, All good size brook trout, and a few brown. Last time I hit Salmon River was mid summer. Hell of a time trying to get to the trout with all the small salmon all over the place. But when We got to them nice size Rainbows.
I hear there's allot of salmon smolts in both The SR and Jeremy Rivers? are there any making it to maturity?

hookembob

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Hi Jim the biggest I ever got was around 13" back 11 years ago. See most in the 4"-6" range. Got nothing today. Was so cold my reels grease became frozen. Then the lines started to freeze up. My buddy  had braided line and ice got so thick on his pole he could not reel it in any longer. Learned one thing can't use braided line when its this cold. Not sure what to use to keep Reg line from becoming caked in ice. I know I will be taking my reel apart and replacing the grease with something better. I'm sure by now what ever is in there is way past its time anyway. The reel is over 20 years old. Bob

bunker killer

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:35 PM »
Hi Jim the biggest I ever got was around 13" back 11 years ago. See most in the 4"-6" range. Got nothing today. Was so cold my reels grease became frozen. Then the lines started to freeze up. My buddy  had braided line and ice got so thick on his pole he could not reel it in any longer. Learned one thing can't use braided line when its this cold. Not sure what to use to keep Reg line from becoming caked in ice. I know I will be taking my reel apart and replacing the grease with something better. I'm sure by now what ever is in there is way past its time anyway. The reel is over 20 years old. Bob
Hey Bob I was wondering this morning if you were going to brave the cold, it was 0 degrees here in Woodbury at 6am. I went out with the dog along the Shapaug, and saw the first shelf ice of the year. Way too cold for me, I spent the day doing some inside fix ups instead.I've been there with the eyelets of the rod freezing up,and the reel feeling like it has molasses in it, that's when its time to head home and enjoy a nice afternoon fire.

hookembob

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Yea I had to get out and clear my head. I have a son who is six years old with Autism. Not sure if you have seen the news about the scream rooms in Middletown or Not. But My wife and I are dealing with the results of one of those rooms in our Town. But in our town they call it a safe room. They placed our son in it one day the week before x-mas break. A week ago this pass Thursday my wife found him in his room trying to cut his neck open with a toy saw. We rushed him to CCMC in Hartford. While there he told the DR he wanted to die B/C he did not want to go back to school with the mean kids and did not want to get put in the small room the was like a closet. A year and a half ago the school choose to Main stream him and take away his one on one teaching. That's when he started to be bullied by the other kids, but the school would never hear us no matter how many times we told them its was happening. The DR at CCMC and his DR have wrote notes to remove him from the school.  We don't live in MiddleTown, and this all happen before that stuff even hit the news. We are in a fight with a lawyer trying to get him help, the school would not do anything until he tried to end his life. So its not been so great around here, so I need a little time out in the wild to clear my head. Now I'm ready to start fighting again tomorrow. Bob

bunker killer

« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Yea I had to get out and clear my head. I have a son who is six years old with Autism. Not sure if you have seen the news about the scream rooms in Middletown or Not. But My wife and I are dealing with the results of one of those rooms in our Town. But in our town they call it a safe room. They placed our son in it one day the week before x-mas break. A week ago this pass Thursday my wife found him in his room trying to cut his neck open with a toy saw. We rushed him to CCMC in Hartford. While there he told the DR he wanted to die B/C he did not want to go back to school with the mean kids and did not want to get put in the small room the was like a closet. A year and a half ago the school choose to Main stream him and take away his one on one teaching. That's when he started to be bullied by the other kids, but the school would never hear us no matter how many times we told them its was happening. The DR at CCMC and his DR have wrote notes to remove him from the school.  We don't live in MiddleTown, and this all happen before that stuff even hit the news. We are in a fight with a lawyer trying to get him help, the school would not do anything until he tried to end his life. So its not been so great around here, so I need a little time out in the wild to clear my head. Now I'm ready to start fighting again tomorrow. Bob
Bob I'm sorry to hear that you and your family are going thru this. I haven't heard about whats going on in Middletown,but I wish you the best in your fight to get whats best for your son. If I can be of any help, just let me know.
                                                       Jim

hookembob

« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Thanks Jim,

bunker killer

« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Hey Bob, I was up by one of the areas i like to fish early afternoon today. I didn't have my waders so I thought I'd try from the bank for a bit, but look at where all this wind deposited the snow from the other day.Heck, I dont think we even got 4 inches the other morning?

hookembob

« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:08 PM »
That makes it hard to get near the water. Is that snow or just ice build up? SR had ice in some spots and a great deal of stuff floating. But nothing like that. I saw a Bobcat yesterday on RT 82 just down from RT 11. Took a photo on my cell phone but it was near dark and came out like crap. Was strange there were two deer in the field about 50 feet away from where the cat was eatting something,It was only about 20 feet from the road. Very cool. Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.