FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sebago vs. Rangeley or Mooselock  (Read 2696 times)

tracker2011

• I'm NH piker on IceShanty
Sebago vs. Rangeley or Mooselock
« on: Aug 17, 2022, 06:07 AM »
Hello.  I'm needing to get boat out.  I've been learning to flyfish this year due to the high gas prices but I am in need to get out for a road trip.  Both options are a bit over 3 hours for me so I am looking for advice on which would be best this time of year.  I am more familiar with Rangely area but really like Sebago as well.  My concern with Sebago is the possible pleasure boat pressure.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Fishing is my first passion, just don't tell the wife!

Johnnh

Re: Sebago vs. Rangeley or Mooselock
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2022, 07:56 AM »
What species are you after and what launch are you using?

tracker2011

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2022, 05:50 PM »
Sebago I use Standish and Rangeley I go out of the state park.  Both lakes are little over 3 hours.  I have only been to Sebago during Oct. and did very well on the Lakers.  I don't care what I catch.  I like the idea of Sebago but not sure how crazy it gets with ski boats and how busy the launches are. 

Johnnh

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2022, 02:30 AM »
The main lake side of Frye island has lots of drop offs and deep water flats. Good area for jig, troll and if your after smallies there are plenty around. Boat traffic is rough on weekends and the channel up to long lake is very crowded at times.
Trolling flat lines on the main lake can be productive but costly because ski and pleasure boats will pass close behind you and break you off. During the week its much better.
The wind will be rough at times since there is only one island (Frye) to break it. I have delt with waves 4 feet and higher. If you have fished the broads on Winnipesaukee on a windy day, Sebago is worse
In decent weather, Sebago is a great fishery and very scenic.
Enjoy your trip
John

tracker2011

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2022, 05:38 AM »
Thanks for all your info.  I have decided to head up to Mooselook for the day.  I just saw on the news that the months of sept. oct. and nov. are to be above normal temps. so I plan on hitting Sebago during Oct.  I went there last year for the first time in Oct. and did so well with Lakers and I had no idea where to start but had one of my best days.  I am also heading up to West Grand Lake Stream mid Oct. for a flyfishing trip. Just started flyfishing this year and fell in love with it so I found WGS on youtube and now have a trip all planned and booked.  Again thanks for your help. 

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2022, 01:08 PM »
i think thats the better choice. theres not much traffic on sebago lately but theres not much in the way of bait. fishings way off, im hoping it picks up this fall. been there fishing weekly open water  season and this is the worst year ive seen in 18 years

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2022, 12:48 PM »
Thanks for all your info.  I have decided to head up to Mooselook for the day.  I just saw on the news that the months of sept. oct. and nov. are to be above normal temps. so I plan on hitting Sebago during Oct.  I went there last year for the first time in Oct. and did so well with Lakers and I had no idea where to start but had one of my best days.  I am also heading up to West Grand Lake Stream mid Oct. for a flyfishing trip. Just started flyfishing this year and fell in love with it so I found WGS on youtube and now have a trip all planned and booked.  Again thanks for your help.

I spent a weekend with a guide at Grand Lake Stream in June, stayed at Weatherbees. It was incredible. I'm jealous! Have a great time. If you want a good meal up there call ahead and get on the dinner list for Leen's Lodge. They have new owners and he is a trained chef that prepared one of the best meals I have ever had. 

porkpiehat

« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2022, 01:27 PM »
Sebago I use Standish and Rangeley I go out of the state park.  Both lakes are little over 3 hours.  I have only been to Sebago during Oct. and did very well on the Lakers.  I don't care what I catch.  I like the idea of Sebago but not sure how crazy it gets with ski boats and how busy the launches are.

Have you hit hit Sebago yet this fall? Think I'm heading up tomorrow to target some lakers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.