FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dipsy Diver 101  (Read 5569 times)

davidl

Dipsy Diver 101
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:03 PM »
I go tmy first dipsy diver today. It is a #0, the smallest I think. I will be targeting mostly rainbows and browns on a small local pond (about 20-30' deep) and I will also try for some salmon at a bigger deeper lake (50-70"). My question is : How do I use it?
Do I tie the main line to the flip up post and then tie the leader to the second swivel at the back?
Or do I run th emain line through and snap it onto the post?
What is the best line, rod, reel, lure, leader to use?

spoonfed

Re: Dipsy Diver 101
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 09:30 PM »
i would put a snubber(rubber shock leader) on main line attach dipsey to it at the top break away swivel.make yourself up a leader and attach to the swivel on the bottom.attach spoon.the 1-2-3 setting is how much it will pull to the side.the break away swivel has a tension screw on it.set it so it holds but you can give it a yank and pop the release.makes it a whole lot easier to bring in.

i use fire line for my main line and mono for my leader.

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 05:56 AM »
The snubber goes between the dipsey and the lure leader. If it's between the main line and the dipsey, you'll have a very difficult time tripping the dipsey. Trust me, you don't want to try and bring in an untripped dipsey to many times.
Pete Lewis

spoonfed

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 09:41 PM »
 yes between the dipsy and lure. i stand corrected.

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:16 AM »
A snubber is not really necessary.  If you beef up your leader (seagar florocarbon is the best) from the dipsy to the lure you should be ok.  I have lost more fish using snubbers. 

davidl

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Thanks guys
What about the O ring? Mine seems to be very loos and I doubt that it would stay in place during use, is that normal.? Is it better to use with or without? what about sizes?

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 05:07 AM »
You do not have to use the ring.  If you do not use the ring it will not dive as deep.  You can buy a bag of replacement rings for a couple bucks.

Marcus

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2006, 01:13 PM »
how long of a leader should i use off a dipsey. I am fishing eyes in erie and have no clue about leader length?

eyedoktr

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2006, 01:21 PM »
Make sure that your leader length (including snubber if you use one) is not much longer than your rod. If it is longer, it is very difficult to get the fish close enough to the boat to net. Remember, you can't reel that dipsey through the rod eyes.
Pete Lewis

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2006, 02:01 PM »
Is there (of course there is) a general depth that each size of dipsey's is supposed to run for a given speed?  (Dipsy Diver's 099)

Marcus

« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2006, 02:17 PM »
that is what i have been trying after having to land a fish with a 14-16 ft leader which was a pain it was only a perch so i was lucky i think i would have lost anything else.  thanks

slipbob

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2006, 02:24 PM »
Yeah, and don't try to reel those dipsey's through the guides ;D Small perch maybe, dipsey no :o

bwalleye

« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2006, 07:29 PM »
Thanks Mac!

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2006, 03:18 PM »
when it comes to depth of dipseys/lures the precision trollers big water edition book is a trollers best friend  ;) or the standard edition for that matter

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

bwalleye

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2006, 09:49 PM »
when it comes to depth of dipseys/lures the precision trollers big water edition book is a trollers best friend  ;) or the standard edition for that matter

billybono

Yeah, well.....tank of gas for the boat or a copy of the precision trollers...............tank of gas wins!    Bought 14 gallons of gas for the boat today......... :o :o $50.  Ouch !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.