FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: VHF marine radio  (Read 1929 times)

rebs

VHF marine radio
« on: Aug 06, 2010, 07:18 AM »
what brand VHF radio and antenna are you guys using and what distance do you get, transmit and recieve ?
We'll see ya on the water !

rebs

broadhorizons

Re: VHF marine radio
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2010, 02:05 PM »
Which style are you interested in?  Handheld or fixed mount?

My fixed I've been running is a Uniden UM525 and the antenna was on the boat when I got it.  I was getting 15 to 20 mile transmission range with it.  Last weekend it quit receiving signal.  Uniden said to send it in and they'll fix it and it's still under warrantee.  I'm not saying it's a bad radio at all, every brand can break occasionally.  I will still run it when I get it back from service (about 2 weeks).  For use in the meantime, I purchased a Standard Horizon GX1100S Eclipse DSC + and a Shakespeare 8700 antenna.  I can't be two weeks without a fixed unit heading out on Ontario.  After I get the Uniden back, I'm keeping both radios hooked up and will have an antenna for each.  

My handheld backup for the boat and also my primary hunting radio is a Cobra 425(?) which does both VHF and GMRS/FRS.  This radio whoops the snot out of any handheld motorola talkabout or similar radio in our group.  Ranges a solid 8 to 10 miles in good hillcountry and way more than 10 in mild hills to flat land.  This radio can transmit GMRS on 5 watts if I choose.  I have not tested it for range on water though.  

Good luck,

Capt. Andy
Captain Andy
Broad Horizons Guide and Charter Service

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.