FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maumee River  (Read 2979 times)

Doubles Shooter

Maumee River
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 05:00 AM »
A question for anyone that has boat fished the walleye run. I'm heading to Ohio to fish the walleye run for the first time at the end of the month and bringing the boat. My question is,  what is the best design of anchor for the river? My brother lives in Perrysburg so we will probably be fishing that stretch of river. I have a 16' aluminum boat with 65" beam. Not huge, But I don't want to drag anchor. I need to buy a bigger anchor, but don't know the river bottom type and I would like to get the best style for the river. Thanks

tater140

Re: Maumee River
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:56 AM »
I have always waded for the run, but have observed boats out there. Im not sure what tupe of anchors or where they get them.  I would say the look heavy, some i have seen look like they have rebar stickers or something to grab the bottom.   Its a rocky bottom, and heavy current.  I would recommend making some type of quick detach on your anchor line in case for some unknown reason you get hung up and start taking on water you can detach it quick.  If you put a pool noodle on your quick detach you could come back and get it if needed.  Never ancher off of the rear or transom of your boat.
Have fun and i hope you catch some big ones.

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:37 AM »
I have also never fished from a boat, but have fished many times from the bank. As the others have said, the current is very fast and strong -  Kind of like the St Joe below Berrien Springs dam.  The bottom varies between sand, gravel, cobble and outright boulders.  The depth bounces up and down as well.  Lastly, visibility is seldom more than a few inches.  We bank fishermen tend to hit the narrow slots so all of these variables are magnified.  There is a ramp at Orleans Park and downstream is considerably wider.  Keep your bow pointed into the current,

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:20 PM »
I'm leaning towards something like the Atwood river anchor. I've had the brother doing some leg work out there for me about this too. 18# should be good for my boat. I will also rig up a quick disconnect too. I'm planning on wading too at times. If the river is too high for me, I'll bank fish or sit in my brother's bar and drink beer. :laugh:.
Looking forward to going. Been drooling over pictures and videos of the run for years.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Also, he told me the river ice raised hell with some launches and shore line by the park.

AlonsoMac

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2019, 07:01 AM »
I'm leaning towards these probiotics for gut health and something like the Atwood river anchor. I've had the brother doing some leg work out there for me about this too. 18# should be good for my boat. I will also rig up a quick disconnect too. I'm planning on wading too at times. If the river is too high for me, I'll bank fish or sit in my brother's bar and drink beer. :laugh:.
Looking forward to going. Been drooling over pictures and videos of the run for years.

How so? I didn't know ice can mess up the shoreline in a significant way.

rivereddy

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2019, 07:57 AM »
A couple of years ago, spring ice movement on Trail Creek, a stream that enters Lake Michigan in northern Indiana,
just about destroyed a concrete fish access site.  Huge slabs of concrete were shoved all over the place. 

fish on,

rivereddy

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:58 AM »
How so? I didn't know ice can mess up the shoreline in a significant way.
The Maumee Tackle river report I got today discusses some of the damage to some access sites. Just a whole bunch of things added up to trouble in areas.

RoeBoat

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:34 PM »
Lead pyramid anchor is what your looking for with an outrigger and winch preferably.   Check out the FB group Maumee river walleye run - past , present and future.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:18 AM »
I'm building a Richter style anchor. Maumee tackle recommended that type of at least 30-35lbs. for my boat. The pyramid style looks great, but I don't have access to that much lead.

Stonecat

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:03 AM »
   There may be better but Richter is the best river anchor I have found.  Works well in fast currents and wind.

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:56 PM »
Ipilot’s spot lock feature

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Ipilot’s spot lock feature
I've got that too. The current I see in videos looks like the Terrova would get one heck of a workout.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:38 PM »
I've got that too. The current I see in videos looks like the Terrova would get one heck of a workout.

I use my 80# Terova in the Niagara.
Works fine.
Of course I have 4 batteries, in series parallel.   So I have 2X the life.

But it works way better than any anchor.

RoeBoat

« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:10 PM »
That's not going to fly (other than downstream) on most days on the Maumee.  I've seen goofballs in small boats with small gas motors go backwards.   The water flow is no joke and you better know what your doing when you launch a boat there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.