FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Brook or Brown trout fry?  (Read 232 times)

taxid

Brook or Brown trout fry?
« on: Mar 24, 2024, 03:34 PM »
As some of you know I hatch my own trout to grow out to sell to taxidermists and some live stocking. When I got the eggs shipped to me for brook and brown trout this year I didn't see them labeled, but I still separated the eggs into two separate baskets. So one basket is brown trout and the other is brook trout, but which is which is the question.

They are about 2 1/2 inches now, and I'm trying to differentiate species. Of course it will be much easier when they are larger, but I'm curious now as I had much higher survival rate of one of them. I need to take a pic of the other basket of fry which I will do momentarily.

Right now I think I can see the white fin edges and the orangish ventral fins seem to say brook trout, but it's still kind of iffy as we have all seen brown trout with some white edging on the ventral fins although not as definitive as a brook trout. And we've all seen ventral fins that were orangish on brown trout too. If they are brook trout it's too early for the back vermiculations.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Brook or Brown trout fry?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2024, 04:03 PM »
Second batch of fish:

I posted this on my aquaculture Facebook page. A guy that works at a hatchery in Vermont said the brown trout display orange adipose fins early on.

See the orange adipose fins? I don't see then on the other group of fry. I learned something new today!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2024, 08:47 AM »
Man the brookies in my buddies pond have the orange and white trim fins, might be a development thing, but his brookies are gorgeous looking, except for the ones with the triangular bill marks on the backs. They are survivors thou!
Internet heros give it a rest!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2024, 11:09 AM »
Man the brookies in my buddies pond have the orange and white trim fins, might be a development thing, but his brookies are gorgeous looking, except for the ones with the triangular bill marks on the backs. They are survivors thou!

Mine are really intense in color once they get larger if I enhance the feed with astaxathin.

Yeah those Great Blue Herons can be a pain, and do damage even on fish that are too large to swallow. I used to shoot them with a federal permit until I peppered my neighbors siding with a goose load that reaches out farther.  ::) I forgot the gooseload reaches out farther!  :o  Now after my insurance paid to replace the siding I use an electric fence. Never really wanted to shoot them anyway, and an electric fence works 24/7 as they can come in at night  especially on moonlit nights. And as soon as you kill one, another one comes into to take its place within a couple of weeks. Very common in my area of lakes. So I wished I would have gone with an electric fence earlier!

oatkasut

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2024, 01:41 PM »
do you get bothered by mergansers?They love eating trout in our hatchery and in the trout streams now that they have established themselves here in Western New York after moving in from the Catskills and the North Country. :'( :'( :'(!

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2024, 11:27 PM »
do you get bothered by mergansers?They love eating trout in our hatchery and in the trout streams now that they have established themselves here in Western New York after moving in from the Catskills and the North Country. :'( :'( :'(!

I have not seen one here yet... No otters yet either. Don't want to see either of them!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.