FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Downrigger vs Outrigger  (Read 7597 times)

Hilltopper

Downrigger vs Outrigger
« on: Jun 13, 2006, 11:18 AM »
OK folks, stupid question time :-[. What is the difference between the two? What is it that an outrigger does that a downrigger cannot?

hilltopper

Pikeguy

Re: Downrigger vs Outrigger
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2006, 12:18 PM »
Good question.

The outrigger takes your bait OUT away from the boat.
They use a clothesline type setup to take your line out away from the boat.
My downriggers are 18', so they take the line about 18' out to each side of the boat.

Hope this helps.
Mac

Mac, not trying to be a smart-alec here. Do you mean Outriggers here? Just to clear it up

Pikeguy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2006, 01:01 PM »
OOPS!

All fixed.

Thanks PG.

Mac

Cool...thanks....I got a little confused as I've never run either  :-\

Pikeguy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2006, 01:57 PM »
Which boat's yours Mac? lol!! (Nice rig by the way)

Thanks for the pic..I understood how Downriggers worked (from reading your posts this spring)...just had never seen outriggers (what a sheltered fishing life I lead. rofl) Now things make sense ;D

SEADUCKTION

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Mac,
  Nice looking rig, did you end up selling it?  Where in Henderson di this come from? What was the original name on it?
 Rich

Hilltopper

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2006, 07:58 AM »
Ahhhhh.... I see now. Thanks, Mac. I know downriggers well...use them all the time. Had heard outriggers mentioned a lot but was never quite sure what they were. Can't say I've ever seen those on boats where I fish in Northern Vermont.

hilltopper

SEADUCKTION

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2006, 12:11 PM »
Mac,
    I knew a guide in Oswego that had Outriggers on his boat. When the fish ran the river he would anchor up in the river where the river turned a little faster and lay his outriggers out and run jplugs and hot-n-tots out on these. When one of those salmon hit you knew it, the out rigger would get pulled back toward the fish, I think he might have had the releases a little tight. I would like to put a set on our boat but we have to go under a bridge and they won't fit. I know they have collapsible ones, I might check them out. I know where your boat used to be out of. I think he upgraded to a 270 fisherman, But I think he has since upgraded again. Good Luck.
 Rich

SEADUCKTION

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2006, 12:56 PM »
Mac,
   I have seen them in the catalog, I   will look inot them. Thanks
  Rich

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2006, 02:23 PM »
Rich,

I have a pair that I'm willing to part with.  They only need the holders.  I think they are 12' collapseables.  They are also removable.  They collapse down to 4 foot.

SEADUCKTION

« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2006, 07:41 PM »
Gambel,
   Thanks for the offer but I am on hold for purchases for the boat for the rest of the year. With the new Furuno I have went over budget so I will hold off for this year. Besides I will be off the boat early this year with an ACL Surgery in middle of August. Thanks for the offer.
 Rich

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.