MFF US Midwest > Indiana

Wabash River fishing

(1/2) > >>

bigr:
The Wabash has been high and muddy all year for the most part. That's makes for some very good fishing this time of year if you know where to look. I've been hitting the mouths of the bigger creeks where the high water has backed up into the clear running creek. That blend area has been very good for several weeks now. You never know what you'll hook since the fish are coming in and out of the river. Crappie made up most ofthe early success and now smallies. Walleye and Sauger have always been in the mix but showing up in good numbers now as well as bigger fish. On occasion you hook the unusual. I have caught 5lb Strippers that have made there way up the river i've even caught white cat fish. You don't see a lot of Kentucky Bass(spots) in my neck of the woods but I always get a few, some very nice ones. Last evening trip was a good one. In just a couple hrs of fishing I lipped maybe 50 smallies a few nice crappie and two 18" walleye along with a 18" sauger. A small baby o chart/orange crank was the preferred choice. Don't be chased away because of high water. Search out those creek mouths and slack areas. When you find the right spot you'll find fish stacked and hungry. That spot will likely produce for yrs when the conditions are right.       

bigr:
You will have that zzzzzzsnap happen from time to time. I agree most of the time its a big cat. They know right where to go when hooked. Either back into the jam or back to the current of the river.

bherr24:
Was doing good on walleye and sauger a few weeks ago where the rivers join in logan. Then the eel got muddy too and that ended the fun. Best trip i had was 2 sundays ago. Limited with 5 saugers and one walleye in an hour and a half. All on twisters casted slightly upstream and retrieved slowly as the current moved it downstream.

bigr:

--- Quote from: bherr24 on Jun 24, 2019, 08:47 AM ---Was doing good on walleye and sauger a few weeks ago where the rivers join in logan. Then the eel got muddy too and that ended the fun. Best trip i had was 2 sundays ago. Limited with 5 saugers and one walleye in an hour and a half. All on twisters casted slightly upstream and retrieved slowly as the current moved it downstream.

--- End quote ---
Conditions hopefully will get right again. Pick up where you left off.

bigr:
After checking todays reading from the corp of eng the Wabash/Salamonie connection looks just right. Large amount of water coming from roush and almost nothing from Sally. Just like the creeks the Sally will get backed up and fish will stack in that first hundred yards or so. I'll know by 3pm today. Old pair of jeans, wading shoes. metal stringer, hat with all my lures is all i'll need. Hot day out and cool water, throw a few fish in the mix and it will be perfect. Report in the morning. All are welcome to join.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version