FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Early season fun  (Read 1681 times)

seamonkey84

Early season fun
« on: Mar 26, 2020, 08:15 PM »
My buddy and I got out yesterday before the Portland shutdown. It was a little chilly but we fished from 7-3, and managed 4 fish. We started the day trolling one of our go to spots, but only managed one togue 24”

As the wind started to pick up, we went towards shore to hit some rocky spots, and did some casting. We both ended up catching two small togue 19-20”, no pics of them. Then after some more effort, I connected with this 23” salmon, had a clipped fin indicating it was stocked in 2016.

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

grgs

Re: Early season fun
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:12 PM »
I like the spacing between the boats

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:49 PM »
I know Right! There was only 4 or 5 trailers there total when we were leaving. the only other boats we saw out was the ones at or near the launch.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

stguy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2020, 05:35 AM »
Way to get after them, did you guys see much for bait?

Did the salmon put up much of a fight?

franklin fisher

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2020, 06:27 AM »
Nice job.

MarkNFish

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2020, 07:16 AM »
Nice.  I'll be fishing on 2 ft. of ice tomorrow.

seamonkey84

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Way to get after them, did you guys see much for bait?

Did the salmon put up much of a fight?
My friends humminbird was marking some bait, but I think his unit is set too sensitive as I didn’t see anything on my panoptix.
The salmon sure put on a better fight than the togue, but still cold so no jumps or long runs. Though I was using my bass rod, last year I was using a UL and did the same...I just love it that I caught it casting instead of trolling.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2020, 09:07 AM »
Congrats!  Catching those fish casting is OUTSTANDING!   8)

fish wayniac

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Chi, That was a good start for the spring season. That’s cool that you caught a nice Salmon by casting. Awesome!

seamonkey84

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2020, 04:29 PM »
I do have to say, I miss the ice, but spring/fall fishing in lakes is almost as good if you have a boat to get to the spots or have shore access. This one trip has caught me nicer fish than almost my whole ice season lol. Wouldn’t have been possible in my little puddle hopper. I Almost wished I brought out the light rod again like last year, but figured I’d better play it safe and match gear to the size of the fish this time, so I brought the medium bass rod  ::).  Besides trolling, we tried jigging out in the lake for a few mins but didn’t see anything before the wind started up.  thats when my buddy humored me and took us to a spot to look for, as my buddy puts it, my “Sebago unicorn” (large lake run brookies, if anyone has any advice, please PM me). That’s where I caught a 20” togue and though I had it, until it turned sideways.  I was so disappointed that I didn’t even take a pic, just whacked it, and threw it in the ice box then kept casting  :P.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.