MyFishFinder By Species > Trout

lakers in the summer

(1/4) > >>

raleigh:
If you do not own a boat to get into deep water, how do you catch the deep lakers ? Do you still use anchovies and sucker meat to catch them ? I would imagine lake trout would go as deep as they can in the hot weather of summer.

Cider:

--- Quote from: raleigh on Mar 03, 2004, 09:44 PM ---If you do not own a boat to get into deep water, how do you catch the deep lakers ? Do you still use anchovies and sucker meat to catch them ? I would imagine lake trout would go as deep as they can in the hot weather of summer.

--- End quote ---

They do go very deep when it gets hot.  I don't see how it is possible to get to them without a boat and a good set of downriggers.  In lake Champlain they fish as deep as 150-200' for them.

You might hook-up occasionally, but a boat is going to make all the difference.

Early spring just after ice-out you can get them in the surface water running with salmon though.

bussman:
Any reason you can jig them up just like we do icefishing??

Cider:

--- Quote from: bussman on Mar 04, 2004, 05:50 PM ---Any reason you can jig them up just like we do icefishing??

--- End quote ---

Sure, but you need to be over top of them when they are in deep water during the summer.  Kind of hard to do if you don't have a boat.  Unless you are John Elway and you can cast as far as he can throw! ;D

fishboy899:
We gave a boat but doesnt have any downriggers.  I would like to go and try to catch a few.  Should  I try jigging?  What should i use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version