FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: March.....Not Much, but Enough  (Read 1704 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
March.....Not Much, but Enough
« on: Mar 30, 2023, 11:29 AM »
March is a virtual lock to be a struggle on open water, and 2023 was no exception.  Not sure why March is so tough, but erratic flows and the break up of shore ice are likely factors.  The shore ice breaks the current and provides structure.  When it blows out, it's probably like having the roof yanked off a house.  It makes sense that it takes a few weeks for the fish to adjust as we move into spring.

The March script is often pulling out a fish or 2 after a long month of trying.  March 2023 was different in that I got on the board on the 9th, but that was ONLY trip I came up with any hits at all.  I can cull that down even further to a single hour on the 9th when I picked up 5 browns.  The rest of the 9th and the other 5 trips were 100% lifeless.  So it goes.....there's a reason I usually fish in complete solitude :laugh:  Bottom line...the Maine open water salmonid streak is alive at 144 months.

It was a spoon bite in that magic hour on the 9th as opposed to the usual jig success.

It's not a bad thing to compare the winter that's just ended with winters past.  I don't count December as a winter month anymore.   I consider the winter season to span from January 1 to March 31.  I hit open water 21 times in Winter 2023 and went 13-8, with a total of 74 salmonids.  I knew Winter 2022 was tough, but at a record of 8-15 in 23 trips and 28 salmonids total, it was worse than I thought.  Winter 2021 came in with a record of 10-7 and 26 fish in 17 trips, with 2020 coming in at 14-2 and 38 fish in 16 trips.  The Winters of 2018 and 2019 were relatively banner years, with 2019 coming in at a record of 19-1 and 70 fish in 20 trips and 2018 at a clean 13-0 with 79 fish in 13 trips.   2018 and 2019 were notable also for the high % of landlocks in the catch.  That ship appears to have  sailed.  I'll point to a case of the tail wagging the dog in one waterway modification and another perhaps well-intentioned and approved shoreline modification having rapid, negative consequences on the fisheries.  Winter 2023, buoyed up by a resurgence of browns, is hopefully cause for optimism that the overall downward trend is ending.

It isn't all about the numbers.  Time on the water, the scenery of the outdoor world, and sharing it with wild critters like mink, black stoneflies, etc. are a ready bonus.

And even fishless outings can be trips down memory lane.  One late March around 10 years back, I lost an absolute monster in this stretch.  I guess it's true that the ones that get away haunt you. ;)

All the best to everyone this season.  The statewide opener is just 2 wake ups away 8)

TightLinesMaine

Re: March.....Not Much, but Enough
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2023, 12:02 AM »
The streak lives on! awesome persistence Jim.  Those browns aren't bad, must've been fun on the spoons.

24 hours to go til the real fun starts!

iceman260

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2023, 03:37 AM »
Nice browns, must have been fun.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2023, 06:15 AM »
Good report Jim. I’m not sure who’s more stubborn you or the fish lol. Persistence pays off.

Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2023, 08:31 AM »
There's a fine line between stubborn and loco crazy ;D

Good report Jim. I’m not sure who’s more stubborn you or the fish lol. Persistence pays off.

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2023, 05:26 PM »
Jim, Another good recap of the month. This winter was dismal for me catching trout. You chipped away at some nice fish and saw scenic locations . Good for you.
Tight lines this spring, I am ready for it.

Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2023, 05:56 PM »
Thanks, Wayne.  I missed all those browns that you usually post on the Shanty site.  I hope open water makes up for the slower than normal ice season for you.

Jim, Another good recap of the month. This winter was dismal for me catching trout. You chipped away at some nice fish and saw scenic locations . Good for you.
Tight lines this spring, I am ready for it.

fish wayniac

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2023, 08:03 AM »
Thanks, Wayne.  I missed all those browns that you usually post on the Shanty site.  I hope open water makes up for the slower than normal ice season for you.

I iced fish one time every week but nothing epic. I had a few skunks and nothing huge this season. I hope to make up for it during open water. Trout , Salmon , Mackerel = Stripers.
Here was a decent Brown I caught .

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2023, 06:30 PM »
Nice brown! Yes, I'm sure you will continue your striper success of the past few years. 8)

I iced fish one time every week but nothing epic. I had a few skunks and nothing huge this season. I hope to make up for it during open water. Trout , Salmon , Mackerel = Stripers.
Here was a decent Brown I caught .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.