FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Lake perch  (Read 23216 times)

fishinator

Re: Big Lake perch
« Reply #30 on: Jul 27, 2023, 05:38 AM »
I'd say there is a slight difference between a 9 foot deep pond and lake michigan.  You said when it gets hot they just lay on the bottom of your pond. That's because they don't have a choice! I'm sure if they had the option to head out to 60' they would.  And you're right, they are where the food is. And right now that's deeper water, too far for a lot of us and our smaller boats.

abishop

« Reply #31 on: Jul 27, 2023, 11:22 AM »
I will be out tomorrow. Son hooking up with me at 8 so guessing launch boat at Mic. City. around 9. Who else is going?

taxid

« Reply #32 on: Jul 27, 2023, 12:37 PM »
I'd say there is a slight difference between a 9 foot deep pond and lake michigan.  You said when it gets hot they just lay on the bottom of your pond. That's because they don't have a choice! I'm sure if they had the option to head out to 60' they would.  And you're right, they are where the food is. And right now that's deeper water, too far for a lot of us and our smaller boats.

Why don't you troll somewhere else? I'm come here to share the fishing experience and a few laughs. I'm not here to get into a pissing match with you.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

wallin

« Reply #33 on: Jul 27, 2023, 01:06 PM »
I think you just gotta drive around and see if you can find them schools of bait fish like always, drive around till you mark them and if no bites keep  that trolling motor going, keep moving, check all your waypoints and then move out deeper, sometimes  they don't  turn on till later so if you found some but they were tight lipped check it later. Becareful  it's hot 🔥  out for sure. Good luck
Wallin

fishinator

« Reply #34 on: Jul 28, 2023, 07:46 AM »
Why don't you troll somewhere else? I'm come here to share the fishing experience and a few laughs. I'm not here to get into a pissing match with you.
Why don't you go hijack threads somewhere else? Not every thread needs information about your ponds or taxidermy work. This topic is "big lake perch" some of us are trying to use it to find perch on lake michigan,  not your backyard.

taxid

« Reply #35 on: Jul 28, 2023, 11:28 AM »
Why don't you go hijack threads somewhere else? Not every thread needs information about your ponds or taxidermy work. This topic is "big lake perch" some of us are trying to use it to find perch on lake michigan,  not your backyard.

I didn't hijack any thread. You did. I was on topic about lake strain yellow perch.

This thread isn't about me. It'a about yellow perch. And last I knew you are not the moderator here.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #36 on: Jul 28, 2023, 05:16 PM »
Woke up this morning at 4:30. First thing is to make coffee and check the weather. From what I saw there were big storms with lightning over the lake. Calling for 2-to-4-foot rollers. I noticed that it was supposed to stop raining about 8:30 and the lake was supposed to get calmer. I figured worst case scenario I would have to fish inside the break wall for a couple hours. I decided to give it a try anyway especially since I haven't been fishing in over a month. Upon entering the lake, I saw what looked like 2-foot rollers maybe 2 1/2. Not bad enough 4 me to turn around. So, I decided to make my way towards Black Ditch. There were only 2 other boats out where I was. Well, that changed. The first couple of hours it was difficult to steer the boat battling the wind and waves. So, I decided to drift. I never marked a fish all day. Not to worry cause every now and then we would pick up couple. There was 4 times we boated 5 or 6 fish within 2 minutes. With 5 doubles. We fished anywhere from 18 feet to 32 feet deep. We got our limit in 4 1/2 hours, with the smallest one right at 9. No 14's but a few 13's. Then the winds shifted out of the east. Just as I was about to say uncle my son said 10 more minutes. I told him that we hadn't gotten a bite for 20 minutes. I explained east is least. Then bang, bang. Put 5 fish in boat in about 2 minutes filling our limit. Beautiful day. Fish were there. Just have to keep moving. Looks like the next couple days will bring the north winds. Just hope not to strong. Sunday may be promising. Hoping to get back out Tuesday.

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #37 on: Jul 28, 2023, 09:15 PM »
Congrats for putting in the time and getting your limit.I really want to get up there again ,haven’t been for 2 yrs.It’s either the weather or other commitments.It’s just slot of fun pulling up Quality fish most of the time .And time and patience usually pays off

wallin

« Reply #38 on: Jul 28, 2023, 09:24 PM »
Congrats
Wallin

taxid

« Reply #39 on: Jul 28, 2023, 09:44 PM »
Woke up this morning at 4:30. First thing is to make coffee and check the weather. From what I saw there were big storms with lightning over the lake. Calling for 2-to-4-foot rollers. I noticed that it was supposed to stop raining about 8:30 and the lake was supposed to get calmer. I figured worst case scenario I would have to fish inside the break wall for a couple hours. I decided to give it a try anyway especially since I haven't been fishing in over a month. Upon entering the lake, I saw what looked like 2-foot rollers maybe 2 1/2. Not bad enough 4 me to turn around. So, I decided to make my way towards Black Ditch. There were only 2 other boats out where I was. Well, that changed. The first couple of hours it was difficult to steer the boat battling the wind and waves. So, I decided to drift. I never marked a fish all day. Not to worry cause every now and then we would pick up couple. There was 4 times we boated 5 or 6 fish within 2 minutes. With 5 doubles. We fished anywhere from 18 feet to 32 feet deep. We got our limit in 4 1/2 hours, with the smallest one right at 9. No 14's but a few 13's. Then the winds shifted out of the east. Just as I was about to say uncle my son said 10 more minutes. I told him that we hadn't gotten a bite for 20 minutes. I explained east is least. Then bang, bang. Put 5 fish in boat in about 2 minutes filling our limit. Beautiful day. Fish were there. Just have to keep moving. Looks like the next couple days will bring the north winds. Just hope not to strong. Sunday may be promising. Hoping to get back out Tuesday.

That's awesome! I'm glad for you!

Jig_Head

« Reply #40 on: Jul 29, 2023, 11:42 AM »
Nailed it. Thats the simple point I tried making a few months back too where almost no one backed me up publicly. Only in my pm's

Jig_Head

« Reply #41 on: Jul 29, 2023, 11:44 AM »
Very nice!! Way to get after em!

taxid

« Reply #42 on: Jul 29, 2023, 12:36 PM »
Nailed it. Thats the simple point I tried making a few months back too where almost no one backed me up publicly. Only in my pm's

Several years back when I was still doing taxidermy, I took in a 10 lb. lake trout from Lake Michigan that had a couple of yellow perch inside it. They hadn't been there very long as they weren't close to being digested so the perch must have been in really deep water. IIRR it was about a 100 feet of water. That was back when perch were seriously in decline, (is that still the case?). One of the guides told the customer that it was his believe the perch were still there, but had gone much deeper for forage. We do know the amphipods in Lake Michigan are in serious decline.

Thoughts?

Is that O.K to discuss or is the fact I brought up my taxidermy business bother someone too?

wallin

« Reply #43 on: Jul 29, 2023, 12:52 PM »
So what was your water temps AL?
Wallin

abishop

« Reply #44 on: Jul 29, 2023, 01:45 PM »
surface temp was. 72.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com